When I first attempted, it failed because it was trying to download main.cld which didn't exist on the proxy. So I turned off "scripted updates" on both the proxy and the target SLES11 box which is now forcing everything to use cvd files only. But now when I run freshclam on the SLES11 box, I'm getting different errors. It downloads the daily.cvd successfully. Then it tries to load signatures from daily.cvd. And then I get a sequence of errors:

ERROR: During database Load
WARNING: [LibClamAV] cli_ac_addsig: Signature for Win.Backdoor.SystemBC-9885562-0 is too short
ERROR: Failed to load new database: Malformed database
WARNING: Database load exited with status 55
ERROR: Failed to load new database

Do I need to make a change in the freshclam.conf to get this to work? Or is it a matter of the 98.x client unable to read datafiles designed for 103.x clients?

James
Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
James,

Thanks for your email. ClamAV definitions won’t even work on those older versions anymore. The Flevel for the main.cvd and daily.cvd are now set higher than that, so those systems shouldn’t be able to load the newer definitions.

Sent from my ? iPad

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021, novpenguincne via clamav-users wrote:

> ... I still have an older SLES11 box running the 98.x client. ...

Would you at least try to convince me that there's any need to do that?

What prevents you from installing a supported version of ClamAV?

Now that you've announced to the whole world that you're begging to be
shafted, rather than run ridiculously old code of dubious utilty with
published vulnerabilites [*] would it not be better, even, not to run
it at all, and instead do something else (or several something elses)
about your security which would in any case be much more effective?

[*] See for example
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=clamav

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the quick response. So that would lead into the logical next question. What would be the earliest client version that would work? I tried installing the 103.x client on that box but 103.x requires SystemD and this older box is still using SystemV. So is there a version of the client that is new enough to accept the new definition files but still old enough to install on a SystemV-based o/s?

James

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
The oldest version that is currently supported is the 0.101.x line, but that will be EOL in January. So I would recommend 0.103.x or higher.

Sent from my ? iPad

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
OK. It might be difficult to get the new client to run on the old o/s but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the input!

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Good luck!

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021, novpenguincne via clamav-users wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response. So that would lead into the
> logical next question. What would be the earliest client version
> that would work? I tried installing the 103.x client on that box
> but 103.x requires SystemD and this older box is still using
> SystemV. So is there a version of the client that is new enough to
> accept the new definition files but still old enough to install on a
> SystemV-based o/s?

If you keep your existing SystemV scripts and build from source
I don't expect problems with the SystemD bits.
You probably wont get on-access scanning.

Alternatively you could use one of your SLES15 machines as a clamd server
and do your scanning with clamdscan ...

But I would put my effort into restricting the SLES11 machine to local
network access only (or even sneaker-net if you can work with that)
before worrying about clamav.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Thanks Andrew. I am trying that now. This being an older 32-bit o/s, it has been difficult to track down the full rpm install so I've been trying to install from source. But of course that means running into dependency issues. I'll keep working on it for a bit to see if I can work through the install issues.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
On 02.12.21 18:31, novpenguincne via clamav-users wrote:
>OK. It might be difficult to get the new client to run on the old o/s but I'll see what I can do.

hopefully older client should be able to connect to newer clamav server on
different machine via network.

then used against you.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 02.12.21 18:31, novpenguincne via clamav-users wrote:
>> OK. It might be difficult to get the new client to run on the old o/s but
>> I'll see what I can do.
>
> hopefully older client should be able to connect to newer clamav server on
> different machine via network.

If all else fails I can provide a pure Perl script which can do that,
but it might be simpler just to remote mount the device(s) which are to
be scanned; no need to install ClamAV on the scanned host(s) at all.

At least the scanned host isn't then scanning itself, which without
some qualification is to my mind completely crazy - since if it *is*
compromised, its scanning tools will be amongst the first things that
will be trashed by the attacker.

Of course scanning over the network can use a lot of bandwidth.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
I have clam 0.103.4 running on a couple CentOS 5.11 boxes and I had to build
A couple things and place them in non standard locations (for instance
/opt/openssl-1.1.1g)
There are also 4 make files that will trigger -W errors
"-Wno-logical-op-parentheses" "-Wno-dangling-else"
That have to be edited but I have no issues with signatures, operation or
stability.
I am using
openssl-1.1.1g
curl-7.73.0
zlib-1.2.11
If you are not comfortable building the packages needed in non standard
locations and making sure
/etc/ld.so.conf has the correct information, I would walk away from this
idea.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
I'm comfortable compiling from source as long as it doesn't get too complicated with editing and dependecies.

I've been working my way up through the 32-bit versions. I was able to get 0.99 to run. I had to track down about a dozen dependencies but was finally able to get it to install. But when I run freshclam, I get the "Malformed Database" error which I understand is because the newer definition files are no readable by the older clients.

So I tried the .100 version. I when through the full compile process, found the dependencies, and was able to run freshclam successfully. Then I was able to run a full system clamscan. I haven't tested the on-demand/on-access part of the product but at least .100 is looking promising.

Now I'm on to the .101 version but when I "make" in the compile process, I"m getting the two errors you mentioned "-Wno-logical-op-parenthesis" and "-Wno-dangling-else". I'm in the process of researching them now. But I went ahead and ran the "make install", it seems to have installed but when I run freshclam, I'm back to the "malformed database" issue but I don't know if that is because of the errors in the "make" command. So back to testing.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
So after some research, I tried removing the "wno-logical-op-parenthesis" and "wno-dangling-else" entries from libclamav/makefile.* and libclamunrar/makefile and that allowed the "make" to run. But now, running "make install", I'm getting warnings and the install failed. From what I've been able to find online, this is because the gcc4.3 that is on this box doesn't support these options. I'd tried downloading gcc5.* but trying to install it runs off the rail into endless dependency searches. So I may have to give up on this 101. I'll jump ahead to 103 but I would assume that I'll have the same gcc issues. So it may be that the .100 may be the only version that works on this older o/s.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Edit and remove -Wno-logical-op-parentheses -Wno-dangling-else
libclamav/Makefile.am
libclamav/Makefile.in
libclamav/Makefile
libclamunrar/makefile
What version of zlib are you using? IIRC the reason I updated to Zlib-1.2.11
was for decompressing the signatures
This will also have to be placed in a non standard location so it doesn't
interfer with OS specific utilities.
Seems like you need a recent version of openssl.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Here is where I'm at trying to get clam to run on an older 32-bit O/S.

After testing the install (from source) of every version between 99 and 104, the highest level version that I could get to successfully install was 100. Once I try 101 or higher, there are just too many dependency issues to get the configure/make/makeinstall to run successfully.

So I've settled on v100. I was able to install 100 and running freshclam successfully downloads current definition files from my proxy. I can run clamscan and scan the entire file system and it does sucessfully find the test files in the test directory of the install package.

Now I'm moving on to the on-access/real-time scanning with clamd. After much work on getting the config file set correctly, when I try to start the daemon, I'm back to getting the "malformed database" issue that has forced our upgrade from v98.

Is this a case where v100 freshclam CAN use the current databases but clamd CAN'T use the current databases?

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021, novpenguincne via clamav-users wrote:

> Here is where I'm at trying to get clam to run on an older 32-bit O/S.

Whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit shold not be an issue. The age of the OS
is a significant issue which has already been mentioned.

> After testing the install (from source) of every version between 99
> and 104, the highest level version that I could get to successfully
> install was 100. Once I try 101 or higher, there are just too many
> dependency issues to get the configure/make/makeinstall to run
> successfully.
>
> So I've settled on v100. I was able to install 100 and running
> freshclam successfully downloads current definition files from my
> proxy. I can run clamscan and scan the entire file system and it
> does sucessfully find the test files in the test directory of the
> install package.

0.100.x has been EOL since October 2021.

See

https://blog.clamav.net/2021/06/

especially the bits about not testing with it, about breaking it, and
about not permitting it to download database updates.

> Now I'm moving on to the on-access/real-time scanning with clamd.
> After much work on getting the config file set correctly, when I try
> to start the daemon, I'm back to getting the "malformed database"
> issue that has forced our upgrade from v98.
>
> Is this a case where v100 freshclam CAN use the current databases
> but clamd CAN'T use the current databases?

I think you're just wasting your time, and the time of everybody else
reading your posts about this subject. Please read the release notes
for later versions, especially the parts which talk about on-access
scanning in which some serious faults have recently been rectified.

The probability that anything useful will come out of your efforts is
IMO small, and the probability that you will create more problems than
you think you are solving is significantly larger - not least because
you are knowingly running unsupported code with known vulnerabilities.

If you really want to scan your filesystems - an activity of dubious
value at the best of times - and you can't build the latest ClamAV on
the OS, then the best you can probably do is scan remotely. You can
do this either by remotely mounting the devices to be scanned on a
scanning device on which you *can* install the latest ClamaV, or by
running a local clamdscan connected to a remote but up-to-date clamd.

These suggestions have already been made to you. Remote mounts are
straightforward, but, given your difficulties building executables,
running a local clamdscan may not be easy for you. As I've said if
all else fails I could offer a Perl script which could do a similar
job, but I do still think it would be fairly pointless.

The basic advice has to remain the same. You need to upgrade. If you
want reasonably good security, this is not optional.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I understand what you are saying. Sadly, this box can't be upgraded at the moment. So I may be limited in what I can accomplish.

Re: using older clients to download from internal clam proxy [ In reply to ]
100 is end of life. 101 and 102 will be EOL on Jan 3.

You need to be on 103 or higher. The rest will be dead in January.

Sent from my ? iPhone