James Freeman
Sec+, CASP+,
AWS SA-A
Tech Lead- PAI/OSINT
National Security & Intelligence
- - - - - - - - - -
Mobile (253) 273-3747
Office (703) 270-1194
Re: IP List for Virus Definition Domain [ In reply to ]
It’s dynamic baed on your location in the world. Do a dns lookup for database.clamav.net <http://database.clamav.net/> from your location and you should get your answer.

Re: IP List for Virus Definition Domain [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, James Freeman wrote:

> Is there a list of IPs that the ClamAV domain used to download virus definition resolves to?

Here's the (very short) list that it resolves to from my location:

$ dig +short database.clamav.net
database.clamav.net.cdn.cloudflare.net.
104.16.218.84
104.16.219.84

It's a content delivery network - do the same query where you are and
you'll probably get different answers. But you won't get a complete
list unless you qeury from locations all over the planet.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: IP List for Virus Definition Domain [ In reply to ]
FYI, I queried from two distinct locations and got the same IP address.
I then did a traceroute from each of those locations and it took
different but short routes into CloudFlare's network.  I presume they
use anycast routing.(and I could be wrong).

Lyle Giese

LCR Computer Services, Inc.

Re: IP List for Virus Definition Domain [ In reply to ]
When I do a DNS lookup I also get:

104.16.218.84
104.16.219.84

This is the same result that I got well over a year ago, when I had to add these IP addresses as holes in my firewall so that my normally isolated internal server could update its ClamAV instance.

These are Anycast addresses, so the physical servers can move around without needing to change IP addresses. (There might even be multi-machine load-balancing at a single Cloudflare POP, I suppose.)

Re: IP List for Virus Definition Domain [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Le 15/09/2021 à 19:17, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, James Freeman wrote:
>
>> Is there a list of IPs that the ClamAV domain used to download virus
>> definition resolves to?
>
> Here's the (very short) list that it resolves to from my location:
>
> $ dig +short database.clamav.net
> database.clamav.net.cdn.cloudflare.net.
> 104.16.218.84
> 104.16.219.84
>
> It's a content delivery network - do the same query where you are and
> you'll probably get different answers.  But you won't get a complete
> list unless you qeury from locations all over the planet.

Couldflare public IPs are avalaible :
https://www.cloudflare.com/ips/

--
Cordialement / Best regards,