Mailing List Archive

understanding clamd.conf: TemporaryDirectory and clamonacc
Hello.

clamd.conf contains default setting

# Optional path to the global temporary directory.
# Default: system specific (usually /tmp or /var/tmp).
#TemporaryDirectory /var/tmp

It cause error message when clamonacc starting:

clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: Not watching path '/tmp'
clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: ClamOnAcc should not watch the directory clamd is using for temp files
clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: Consider setting TemporaryDirectory in clamd.conf to a different directory.

I attempt to use "OnAccessExcludePath /tmp" but it unsusseful.

> Consider setting TemporaryDirectory in clamd.conf to a different directory.

I thought about it. /tmp is system default and it tmpfs usually now (in Linux
based OS). And that's good. I can certainly make a separate tmpfs for clamd,
but so far this does not seem to me a good idea. But I'm wrong maybe.

Does clamonacc have to watch in /tmp ?

Sergey

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: understanding clamd.conf: TemporaryDirectory and clamonacc [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, Sergey wrote:

> clamd.conf contains default setting
>
> # Optional path to the global temporary directory.
> # Default: system specific (usually /tmp or /var/tmp).
> #TemporaryDirectory /var/tmp
>
> It cause error message when clamonacc starting:

It is not the TemporaryDirectory which causes the error, it is the
path(s) which you are telling clamonacc to watch. Please tell us.

> clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: Not watching path '/tmp'
> clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: ClamOnAcc should not watch the directory clamd is using for temp files
> clamonacc[103181]: ERROR: ClamInotif: Consider setting TemporaryDirectory in clamd.conf to a different directory.
>
> I attempt to use "OnAccessExcludePath /tmp" but it unsusseful.

The error message did not tell you to set "OnAccessExcludePath /tmp".

It told you to use a different TemporaryDirectory. One which
clamonacc is not required by your configuration to watch.

>> Consider setting TemporaryDirectory in clamd.conf to a different directory.
>
> I thought about it. /tmp is system default and it tmpfs usually now (in Linux
> based OS). And that's good. I can certainly make a separate tmpfs for clamd,
> but so far this does not seem to me a good idea. But I'm wrong maybe.

Maybe. You should certainly take heed of the error messages.

> Does clamonacc have to watch in /tmp ?

No. But we do not know what you have told clamonacc to watch because
you have not told us. My guess is that you have told it to watch the
entire filesystem, which will cause problems. You need to think about
what you are doing - and you need to tell us what you are doing. Read
about the 'clamconf' utility. If you can post the output of

clamconf -n

that will help us to know what you're doing.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: understanding clamd.conf: TemporaryDirectory and clamonacc [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 10 April 2021, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:

> > Does clamonacc have to watch in /tmp ?
>
> No.  But we do not know what you have told clamonacc to watch because
> you have not told us.  My guess is that you have told it to watch the
> entire filesystem, which will cause problems.  You need to think about
> what you are doing - and you need to tell us what you are doing.  Read
> about the 'clamconf' utility.  If you can post the output of
>
> clamconf -n

Good utility, thanks! I found an error in my clamd.conf. :-)
This is my first experience to run the clamonacc.

Sergey