Mailing List Archive

Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd?
Dne st?eda 7. dubna 2021 19:41:34 CEST, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
napsal(a):
> > https://blog.clamav.net/2021/04/are-you-still-attempting-to-download.html
> > <https://blog.clamav.net/2021/04/are-you-still-attempting-to-download.htm
> > l>
> >
> > Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd?
> >
> > It has come to our attention that a few of you (about 515,000 of you, to
> > be more accurate), are still attempting to download the safebrowsing.cvd
> > file from the official ClamAV mirrors. This tells us that these
> > attempted downloads are an installation of FreshClam (a non-updated
> > FreshClam.conf or other script) that have not been updated to remove the
> > safebrowsing database.>

Hello,

These could be Debian users. The debian package offers to enable
safebrowsing.cvd, and there is no indication that it is discontinued. Perhaps,
if you talk to Debian Clamav maintainers, they could release an update that
disables this option without asking ?

Anyway I was one of those, and now disabling it everywhere...

--
Best Regards
Vladislav Kurz

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]
Dne st?eda 7. dubna 2021 19:41:34 CEST, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd?

It has come to our attention that a few of you (about 515,000 of you, to
be more accurate), are still attempting to download the safebrowsing.cvd
file from the official ClamAV mirrors. This tells us that these
attempted downloads are an installation of FreshClam (a non-updated
FreshClam.conf or other script) that have not been updated to remove the
safebrowsing database.>

Hello,

These could be Debian users. The debian package offers to enable
safebrowsing.cvd, and there is no indication that it is discontinued. Perhaps,
if you talk to Debian Clamav maintainers, they could release an update that
disables this option without asking ?

Anyway I was one of those, and now disabling it everywhere…

Thank you, we will do.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Communities Division
Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]

On 07.04.21 21:04, Vladislav Kurz via clamav-users wrote:
>These could be Debian users. The debian package offers to enable
>safebrowsing.cvd, and there is no indication that it is discontinued. Perhaps,
>if you talk to Debian Clamav maintainers, they could release an update that
>disables this option without asking ?

it's disabled by default, but yes, that disabling it unconditionally would
be good

The question is, if the old safebrowsing.cld has to be removed if it exists.

>Anyway I was one of those, and now disabling it everywhere...

+1
2B|!2B, that's a question!

Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]
napsal(a):
> > https://blog.clamav.net/2021/04/are-you-still-attempting-to-download.html
> > <https://blog.clamav.net/2021/04/are-you-still-attempting-to-download.htm
> > l>
> >
> > Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd?
> >
> > and continue to download the safebrowsing.cvd account for nearly 10TB of
> > traffic a month, just for that file.
> >
> > As a result, we have put in a block to make any attempts to download the
> > safebrowsing.cvd result in a 403 error.

How about just making the file empty?
Also I wonder if freshclam does not check if the file has been modified, and
skip the download if not?

Re: [ext] Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]
* Vladislav Kurz via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> How about just making the file empty?

I think this causes an error in clamav/clamd

Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF)
Haus I | 1. OG | Raum 105
Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin

Tel. +49 30 450 570 155
ralf.hildebrandt@charite.de
https://www.charite.de

Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]
Dne st?eda 7. dubna 2021 19:41:34 CEST, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd?

and continue to download the safebrowsing.cvd account for nearly 10TB of
traffic a month, just for that file.

As a result, we have put in a block to make any attempts to download the
safebrowsing.cvd result in a 403 error.

How about just making the file empty?
Also I wonder if freshclam does not check if the file has been modified, and
skip the download if not?

We’re actually working on this as we speak
Re: [ext] Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]
Dne ?tvrtek 8. dubna 2021 16:17:24 CEST, Ralf Hildebrandt via clamav-users
napsal(a):
> * Vladislav Kurz via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:
> > How about just making the file empty?
>
> I think this causes an error in clamav/clamd

Then just make is as small as possible - e.g. leave only one signature in the
file, or something like that.

Re: [ext] Re: ClamAV® blog: Are you still attempting to download safebrowsing.cvd? [ In reply to ]