Mailing List Archive

Re: /etc/clam.d/scan.conf
On 10/2/20 12:47 AM, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 5:12 AM, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, Carlos André via clamav-users wrote:
>>> Maybe I missed some configuration in /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf that
>>> enables that information.
>>
>> I've never personally seen a file called 'scan.conf' on any system with ClamAV
>> installed on it. You don't get one if you install from the source as distributed
>> by Cisco/Talos on the ClamAV Website, so I know that you must have installed
>> from some distribution's package or other. Perhaps you can tell us a little
>> more about your system and about how you obtained ClamAV, and - perhaps
>> more importantly - why.
>
> I think " /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf " is Fedora's equivalent of clamd.conf. It's obnoxious that they've gone and renamed it, but it should function the same.

It is the equivalent. One of the original maintainers of clamav on
Fedora was a strong believer in over-engineered designs. That said - it
does give you the flexibility of fairly easily running multiple
instances of clamd on a system with different configurations.

I've thought about dropping it, but I think the Fedora and EPEL users
are pretty used to it at this point.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems 720-772-5637
Re: /etc/clam.d/scan.conf [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 10/2/20 12:47 AM, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never personally seen a file called 'scan.conf' on any system with ClamAV
>>> installed on it. You don't get one if you install from the source as distributed
>>> by Cisco/Talos on the ClamAV Website, so I know that you must have installed
>>> from some distribution's package or other. ...
>>
>> I think " /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf " is Fedora's equivalent of clamd.conf.
>> It's obnoxious that they've gone and renamed it...
>
> It is the equivalent. One of the original maintainers of clamav on Fedora
> was a strong believer in over-engineered designs.

Hopefully he's been taken out behind the bike sheds and put out of my misery.

> That said - it does give you the flexibility of fairly easily
> running multiple instances of clamd on a system with different
> configurations.

What does it offer that isn't already available? I routinely run
multiple instances of clamd, often different versions. It's an extra
config file and an extra line in /etc/rc.local (systemd doesn't get a
chance to screw anything up) for each extra daemon. Four's been the
most I've run until now, but I'm thinking along the lines of one for
each supplier of signature databases which should help with parallel
processing as well as simpifying automatic reports.

> I've thought about dropping it, but I think the Fedora and EPEL users are
> pretty used to it at this point.

At least your name made an easy search term. :) I looked at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Orion

but on that page the link "_These_ are the packages..."

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packager/orion/

gave me a 404. What are all the 'badges' about anyway?

If you're involved in maintaining ClamAV on Fedora now, I'd urge you
to think about it some more. People who know what they're doing will
cope easily and will understand that for newcomers it creates needless
confusion. For distro maintainers it means needless extra work on the
documentation, and more chance of silly mistakes which lead people up
the garden path. For people trying to help e.g. on this list it often
greatly increases the required effort. As a trivial example

(a) I can write

"Try typing

man clamd.conf"

or

(b) I can write

"Try typing

man clamd.conf or
man scan.conf or
info something_else or
do whatever it is you do to get some documentation on configuration
files for 'clamd' or whatever your distribution calls it on your
operating system (whatever that is) and then every time you see
/usr/local/bin/xyz in the docs on the ClamAV Website, substitute
/var/lib/package/abc, and where it says /etc/ you need to type..."

> [Reprise] ... a strong believer ...

That kind of thing causes more trouble than anything else on the planet.

--

73,
Ged.