the service off and bash completion returns to normal.

Does anyone have any idea how I can enable scanonacc and allow bash
completion to run successfully?

Thanks,
Tania

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Re: Bash completion with scanonacc [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020, Tania Hagan via clamav-users wrote:

> I enabled scanonacc with OnAccessIncludePaths /tmp, /home/<user>/Downloads
> and /media/, which runs and seems to monitor the paths fine. However when
> attempting any bash completion the system sits and waits for ages. Turn
> the service off and bash completion returns to normal.

Unfortunately it's the sort of thing to be expected if you make the
system do more work, instead of e.g. just reading some directory cache
content, when you hit <tab>. It might depend on which version of bash
you have and a bunch of other things. Mostly I use Debian, and there
are often irritating things like this to fix between major releases.
There was a time when cache completion only gave you what was in the
search path for executables and some of us were quite happy with that.

Further reading, in no particular order:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/70885/how-to-debug-and-fix-slow-autocomplete-in-bash
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21172097
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/add-bash-auto-completion-in-ubuntu-linux/
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/148497/how-to-customize-bash-command-completion
https://zgadzaj.com/development/linux/how-to-install-linux-bash-completion

HTH

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: Bash completion with scanonacc [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> Further reading ...

Managed to miss this one out:

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Programmable-Completion.html

--