Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  View All
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Thank you for writing in. where post_id=82391;

or by sending an email to ClamAV-devel-leave@lists.ClamAV.net

Thanks!
;

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

http://www.clamav.net/eol-clamav-094/

> What can you advise?

Upgrade it.
If you use Debian add the volatile repository.

Best regards,
--Edwin
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 10:37 +0300, Török Edwin wrote:
> On 04/16/2010 10:21 AM, Dima wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Today, after the next regular virus database update antivirus stopped
> > working. The following quote log database update and response program.
>

> > Fri Apr 16 10:12:14 2010 -> clamd daemon 0.92.1 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH:
> > i386, CPU: i386)
>
> http://www.clamav.net/eol-clamav-094/
>

> > What can you advise?
>
> Upgrade it.
> If you use Debian add the volatile repository.
>
> Best regards,
> --Edwin
Shame you haven't talked to to others - like havp for example - before
doing this.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:58:29 +0300
"Dima" <clamuser@visaginas.net> wrote:

> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/volatile/non-free Packages
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/volatile/non-free Release
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> server:/# LANG=C apt-get install clamav clamav-base clamav-daemon
> clamav-freshclam clamav-milter libclamav1 libclamav3
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> clamav is already the newest version.
> clamav-base is already the newest version.
> clamav-daemon is already the newest version.
> clamav-freshclam is already the newest version.
> clamav-milter is already the newest version.
> libclamav1 is already the newest version.
> libclamav3 is already the newest version.
>
> There is still a proposal?

Sarge is 5 years old and no longer maintained (including security fixes!)
since 2008. You should really update your OS first.

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:58:29 +0300, "Dima" <clamuser@visaginas.net> wrote:
>> Upgrade it. If you use Debian add the volatile repository.
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/contrib Packages
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/contrib Release
> Hit http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> clamav is already the newest version.

> There is still a proposal?

You are running Debian Sarge! That's been EOL and unsupported for over 2
years (March 2008). See here - http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

Your best bet is to upgrade to Debian etch:

1) Backup your system (this might break)
2) Edit /etc/apt/sources.list - replace anything that says 'sarge' with
'etch'
3) Run apt-get update
4) Run apt-get dist-upgrade

This chap has a helpful guide:
http://rimuhosting.com/knowledgebase/linux/distros/debian-sarge-to-etch

Hope this helps. You really can't complain at the ClamAV team if you're
running old, outdated systems. They have been warning us for months that
this was going to happen.

Regards

Richard

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:28:44 +0300
"Dima" <clamuser@visaginas.net> wrote:

> There is a small problem - until this morning me and tens of thousands of
> other users of this operating system is fully suited for more than 5
> years. Update your operating system is now quick and painless can not
> perform because of very many reasons, such as your - incompatibility (eg
> convert MySQL databases hundreds of thousands of tables in utf8).
> Your suggestion - remove clamav and forget about the antivirus?

You can always try to compile from source

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Fri Apr 16 11:30:49 CEST 2010
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 04/16/2010 01:07 PM, Dima wrote:
> I have something very much doubt that this can be done on the old compiler
> using libraries of those times.

People have successfully built ClamAV on various old systems, maybe not
with all the features, but it surely built and run.

Just give it a try.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Richard Bishop wrote:

>You are running Debian Sarge! That's been EOL and unsupported for over 2
>years (March 2008). See here - http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

Yes, I am as well - and for several good reasons.

1) If it aint broke, don't fix it. It works, has worked reliably for
several years, and was working fine yesterday. It's uptime is
currently 405 days, and then the last downtime was to physically move
the server.

2) If it aint broke - don't fix it. There's no way I'd attempt a
major upgrade in-place when it's a live server used 24*7. For various
internal reasons (which I'm sure you can guess) I don't have the
resources to do anything but an in-place upgrade if I want to upgrade.

3) I can accept that software will go out of support - but I never
expected a Miscrosoft-esque remote shutdown.

Recognising that Sarge is quite old, I have in fact got a new server
about ready to go - and I've taken the opportunity to roll in some
better features that the current live one. However, I don't have the
hardware to deploy it with yet - and I probably won't for several
months.

--
Simon Hobson

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Em 16/04/2010 07:22, Török Edwin escreveu:
> On 04/16/2010 01:07 PM, Dima wrote:
>> I have something very much doubt that this can be done on the old
>> compiler
>> using libraries of those times.
>
> People have successfully built ClamAV on various old systems, maybe
> not with all the features, but it surely built and run.

just as example, i could successfully built and get clamav 0.95.3
on a redhat 9 box with GCC 3.2.2. Thats surely an example of OLD system
! It was released in 2003 and its EOL was 2004-04-30.

havent tried clamav 0.96 because i had 0.95 confs ready and had to
upgrade quickly after the kill signature was published yesterday.

[root@correio root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

[root@correio root]# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

[root@correio root]# clamd --version
ClamAV 0.95.3-exp/10751/Thu Apr 15 23:23:45 2010

--

Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
Leonardo Rodrigues

gertrudes@solutti.com.br
My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
> Em 16/04/2010 07:22, Török Edwin escreveu:
>> On 04/16/2010 01:07 PM, Dima wrote:
>>> I have something very much doubt that this can be done on the old
>>> compiler
>>> using libraries of those times.
>>
>> People have successfully built ClamAV on various old systems, maybe
>> not with all the features, but it surely built and run.
>
> just as example, i could successfully built and get clamav 0.95.3 on a
> redhat 9 box with GCC 3.2.2. Thats surely an example of OLD system ! It
> was released in 2003 and its EOL was 2004-04-30.

I've even managed to build 0.96 on a Redhat 7.2 based system, gcc 2.96
(Redhat patched version), though I did have to update zlib manually to
get "make check" to pass.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> Shame you haven't talked to to others - like havp for example - before
> doing this.

The announcement to EOL the old releases was made at the start of
october last year. If people using clam as an integral part of their
software don't read announcements, what fault is that of the clam
developers?

They had 6 months to sort it out.

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> 1) If it aint broke, don't fix it. It works, has worked reliably for
> several years, and was working fine yesterday. It's uptime is

And now it's broken. So you have to fix it. Life on the edge is scary
for some sysadmins, eh?

> currently 405 days, and then the last downtime was to physically move
> the server.

So for 405 days you've done no kernel patches? Awesome. I bet that
server's a bunch of remote exploits waiting to happen (if they haven't
already).

Using massive uptimes to prove how cool your server is actually just
shows that you're not doing the right maintenance.

> 2) If it aint broke - don't fix it. There's no way I'd attempt a
> major upgrade in-place when it's a live server used 24*7. For various
> internal reasons (which I'm sure you can guess) I don't have the
> resources to do anything but an in-place upgrade if I want to upgrade.

Well if they don't want patches on it, and they're not prepared to give
you money to have a backup server to do upgrades on, then it can't be
as critical as they're telling you.

> 3) I can accept that software will go out of support - but I never
> expected a Miscrosoft-esque remote shutdown.

You should have expected it 6 months ago when the announcement was made.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Shhhhh

They've simmered down, I don't need the issue stirred up again

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 4/18/10 1:27 PM, Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> Shame you haven't talked to to others - like havp for example - before
>> doing this.
>
> The announcement to EOL the old releases was made at the start of
> october last year. If people using clam as an integral part of their
> software don't read announcements, what fault is that of the clam
> developers?
>
> They had 6 months to sort it out.

The people that had problems probably download signatures straight into the
signature directory that clamd uses. I drop mine into a holding directory where
I can test them first. Yes, I know that is all built into freshclam, but I'd
rather know ahead of time if a sig is going to be harmful. I use the exact same
process for checking SaneSecurity and other third-party signatures. I didn't
need it this time because I'd upgraded long ago, but it's not a bad process.

dp
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Apr 18, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Ken Campney wrote:

> Shhhhh
>
> They've simmered down, I don't need the issue stirred up again
>
> Spiro Harvey wrote:
>>> Shame you haven't talked to to others - like havp for example -
>>> before
>>> doing this.
>>>

>> The announcement to EOL the old releases was made at the start of
>> october last year. If people using clam as an integral part of their
>> software don't read announcements, what fault is that of the clam
>> developers?
>>
>> They had 6 months to sort it out.

And you run the risk of being called the "most arrogant and ignorant
person on the Internet"....... Oh my....

Jim
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
yup, that's me, though in all honesty the comment was supposed to read
"They've simmered down, I don't "think the issue needs stirring up again"

Proof reading is a wonderful thing when not practiced in moderation :\

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Apr 18, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Ken Campney wrote:

> yup, that's me, though in all honesty the comment was supposed to
> read "They've simmered down, I don't "think the issue needs stirring
> up again"
>
> Proof reading is a wonderful thing when not practiced in moderation :\
>

>> And you run the risk of being called the "most arrogant and
>> ignorant person on the Internet"....... Oh my....

No, I was referring to personal attacks against me and my
contributions to the fray Fri and Sat....

Jim