Mailing List Archive

Upgrade ClamAV
So it appears my installed version is too old to update the database and
I need to upgrade from 0.90.3 to the latest version. I don't know who or
how this version of clamav was installed on this rhel4.6 es server but I
downloaded the tarball since clamav is not a supported rpm available
from Redhat. Now my question is what should I do to get this version
upgraded? Do I need to completely remove the old version and install the
0.93 version from scratch (which I assume would break mail delivery
since clamav is tied into amavisd-new) or is there something I am not
seeing here?

If you guys have any suggestions for me that would help me get the
latest version of clamav on this system w/o breaking it, I would be most
grateful!

[root@mail /]# locate clamav
/var/clamav
/var/clamav/clamav-17269258ecc6fd84
/var/clamav/daily.cvd.rpmnew
/var/clamav/daily.cvd
/var/clamav/daily.inc
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.ndu
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.hdb
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.wdb
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.hdu
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.mdb
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.mdu
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.pdb
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.db
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.fp
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.ndb
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.ftm
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.cfg
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.zmd
/var/clamav/daily.inc/COPYING
/var/clamav/daily.inc/daily.info
/var/clamav/clamav-6b05cd80e2c97719
/var/clamav/main.inc
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.hdb
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.db
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.mdb
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.zmd
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.ndb
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.fp
/var/clamav/main.inc/main.info
/var/clamav/main.inc/COPYING
/var/clamav/main.cvd.rpmnew
/var/clamav/mirrors.dat
/var/clamav/main.cvd.rpmsave
/var/log/clamav
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.2
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.1.gz
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.3
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.3.gz
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.2.gz
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.3.gz
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.3
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.2
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.4.gz
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.4.gz
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log.1.gz
/var/log/clamav/clamd.log.2.gz
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/headers/clamav-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/headers/clamav-db-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/headers/clamav-0.90.3-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/headers/clamav-db-0.90.3-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages/clamav-db-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages/clamav-db-0.90.3-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages/clamav-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
/var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages/clamav-0.90.3-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
/var/run/clamav
/var/run/clamav/clamd.sock
/var/run/clamav/clamd.pid
/var/spool/up2date/clamav-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/spool/up2date/clamav-db-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/spool/up2date/clamav-milter-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/var/spool/up2date/clamav-devel-0.88.7-1.el4.rf.i386.hdr
/usr/lib/libclamav.so.2.0.3
/usr/lib/libclamav.so.2
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/clamdoc.pdf
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/FAQ
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam.zip
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam.exe.bz2
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam-v3.rar
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/libclamav
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/libclamav/libclamav.c
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam.exe
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/mbox
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/mbox/debugm.c
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam-v2.rar
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/clam.cab
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/test/README
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/freshclam.conf
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/clamav-mirror-howto.pdf
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/BUGS
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/signatures.pdf
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/README
/usr/share/doc/clamav-0.90.3/INSTALL
/etc/log.d/conf/services/clamav-milter.conf
/etc/log.d/conf/services/clamav.conf
/etc/log.d/scripts/services/clamav
/etc/log.d/scripts/services/clamav-milter
/etc/logrotate.d/clamav

Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Carlos Williams wrote:
> So it appears my installed version is too old to update the database and
> I need to upgrade from 0.90.3 to the latest version. I don't know who or
> how this version of clamav was installed on this rhel4.6 es server but I
> downloaded the tarball since clamav is not a supported rpm available
> from Redhat. Now my question is what should I do to get this version
> upgraded? Do I need to completely remove the old version and install the
> 0.93 version from scratch (which I assume would break mail delivery
> since clamav is tied into amavisd-new) or is there something I am not
> seeing here?
>
> If you guys have any suggestions for me that would help me get the
> latest version of clamav on this system w/o breaking it, I would be most
> grateful!

It looks like earlier versions were installed as RPM packages from
rpmforge using yum, not the RH repository. Have you tried using yum to
see if the current version is availble?

A couple things to run before too long:

rpm -qa |grep clam

clamconf

Capture the outputs to files because you'll probably need them.

dp

Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Dennis Peterson wrote:
> It looks like earlier versions were installed as RPM packages from
> rpmforge using yum, not the RH repository. Have you tried using yum to
> see if the current version is availble?

I had no idea YUM was even installed on this server. I thought YUM was
only available on RHEL5 but I guess I could have looked at the content I
added in my initial request for help.
> A couple things to run before too long:
>
> rpm -qa |grep clam
>
> clamconf
>
> Capture the outputs to files because you'll probably need them.

Doing this now before I run yum update.

Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Carlos Williams wrote:
> Dennis Peterson wrote:
> > It looks like earlier versions were installed as RPM packages from
>> rpmforge using yum, not the RH repository. Have you tried using yum to
>> see if the current version is availble?
>>
> I had no idea YUM was even installed on this server. I thought YUM was
> only available on RHEL5

It's the way RH4 ships but someone has added yum later. That's probably
a good thing.

dp
Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Dennis Peterson wrote:
> It looks like earlier versions were installed as RPM packages from
> rpmforge using yum, not the RH repository. Have you tried using yum to
> see if the current version is availble?
I am getting the following error when running "yum update"

--> Processing Dependency: libclamunrar_iface.so.3 for package: clamav
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libclamunrar_iface.so.3 is needed by package
clamav

Any way to resolve this?
Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Carlos Williams wrote:
> Dennis Peterson wrote:
>> It looks like earlier versions were installed as RPM packages from
>> rpmforge using yum, not the RH repository. Have you tried using yum to
>> see if the current version is availble?
> I am getting the following error when running "yum update"
>
> --> Processing Dependency: libclamunrar_iface.so.3 for package: clamav
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libclamunrar_iface.so.3 is needed by package
> clamav
>
> Any way to resolve this?

This was discussed on the list the last couple of day - check the
archives to see what is suggested. Google this:

libclamunrar_iface.so.3 site:clamav.net

dp
Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Dennis Peterson wrote:

> This was discussed on the list the last couple of day - check the
> archives to see what is suggested. Google this:
>
> libclamunrar_iface.so.3 site:clamav.net

I searched Google and could not find anything that was obvious to
resolving this dep. issue.

When I go to search the archives manually, I went to
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-users.html and I get a blank page
for some reason. I am not trying to seem lazy but I am having trouble
looking for this previous conversation and just joined the list so my
apologies...
Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:21:17 -0400, Carlos Williams
<cwilliams@ideorlando.org> wrote:

>Dennis Peterson wrote:
>
>> This was discussed on the list the last couple of day - check the
>> archives to see what is suggested. Google this:
>>
>> libclamunrar_iface.so.3 site:clamav.net
>>

>I searched Google and could not find anything that was obvious to
>resolving this dep. issue.

Similar problems here on CentOS 4.6/64 bit. I did find some info on
Google suggesting moving the libclamunrar stuff and then running yum.
Tried that on a spare box with no improvement, still failed the deps.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/clamav/users/37775?page=last

There's a few similar links but none of the suggested solutions
worked. I'll probably give it a couple of days and if it doesn't
resolve I'll do a manual build.

Nigel
Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]

Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]

> Dennis Peterson wrote:
>
> > This was discussed on the list the last couple of day - check the
> > archives to see what is suggested. Google this:
> >
> > libclamunrar_iface.so.3 site:clamav.net
> >

> I searched Google and could not find anything that was obvious to
> resolving this dep. issue.
>
> When I go to search the archives manually, I went to
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-users.html and I get a blank page
> for some reason. I am not trying to seem lazy but I am having trouble
> looking for this previous conversation and just joined the list so my
> apologies...

I have a lab system that runs RH4 ES and has yum installed. I tried to locate
an rpm for clamav-0.93 but didn't find one so I built it from source and installed
it. It took maybe 10 minutes to get a working system. That might be a good
way to go until the rpm builders get caught up.

There is a patch for sigtool.c that includes the new .cld extension for sig
files - it was mentioned yesterday or today, can't recall. If you build it
you should probably patch the sigtool.c file.

dp

Re: Upgrade ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Re: Upgrade CLAMAV [ In reply to ]
On 02.09.21 11:53, OLCESE, Marcelo Oscar.- wrote:
>Good morning dear !!

who do you call dear? ;-)

>I updated a Debian 10 to 11 and I get the CLAMAV error ... see the one in
>bold and with bigger font.

> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
>
> WARNING: Local version: 0.103.2 Recommended version: 0.103.3

Hopefully debian will update clamav version soon but there's not big
dfifference and everything works as supposed.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.