linux and never really cared for an anti-virus till date).
I would like to help clamav development (probably spare 1 hour daily).
I would like to know if my participation is welcomed and if possible
some pointers to helpful documentation and which areas require help. My
skill set is very varied. I can do web programming in PHP, I can do
coding in C/C++, I can also do data entry kind of work if I am helpful
in anti-virus database updates, etc.

Regards.
Re: Participate in clamav development. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 00:52, Amish Munshi wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am absolutely new to the world of viruses (since I have always used
> linux and never really cared for an anti-virus till date).
> I would like to help clamav development (probably spare 1 hour daily).
> I would like to know if my participation is welcomed and if possible
> some pointers to helpful documentation and which areas require help. My
> skill set is very varied. I can do web programming in PHP, I can do
> coding in C/C++, I can also do data entry kind of work if I am helpful
> in anti-virus database updates, etc.

I was considering enhancing the existing GUI and web interface of
clamav. Let me know which is more important. I feel specially on the
windows front there is a huge market that clamav can acquire if one
manages to write a good anti-virus for windows. First thing on the
windows front what is required is an on-access file scanning (I dont
think that clamwin is doing that at the moment).

Re: Participate in clamav development. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:46:46 +0530
Amish Munshi <amish_munshi@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> manages to write a good anti-virus for windows. First thing on the
> windows front what is required is an on-access file scanning (I dont
> think that clamwin is doing that at the moment).

Yes, it's lacking the on-access scanning. Do you have some experience
with lower level windows programming ? Unfortunately there must be
seperate drivers for both win9x and NT and it's better to address the
second one first because all current windows use the NT kernel.

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
RE: Participate in clamav development. [ In reply to ]

Hi Amish,

Thanks for offering to help. You are right - clamwin does not do
on-acces scanning. I am not proficient in NT driver development, and as
far as I know this is an area requiring a lot of knowledge mostly gained
by experience.

There are couple of problems that need to be solved before this can be
done. Firstly it is necessary to make a true non-Cygwin port of
libclamav to Win32 as I don't think NT kernel would like cygwin dlls in
a file system filter driver. It may however be possible to tie
kernel-mode driver with a user level process via IOCTL commands and
waiting for completion, but this is not the most stable approach.

I read in Dazuko FAQ that there is work in progress to port Dazuko to
Win32, so maybe we could join the efforts.

Regards,
Alex
RE: Participate in clamav development. [ In reply to ]
;
; There are couple of problems that need to be solved before this can be
; done. Firstly it is necessary to make a true non-Cygwin port of
; libclamav to Win32 as I don't think NT kernel would like cygwin dlls in
; a file system filter driver. It may however be possible to tie
; kernel-mode driver with a user level process via IOCTL commands and
; waiting for completion, but this is not the most stable approach.

I believe this is the way that most commercial scanners work - a filesystem
filter (on NT anyway) communicating with a user space process over a pipe.