run it in an ordinary user account from python sources.

Regards,
Alex
Re: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 at 19:05:12 +1100, Alex Cherney wrote:
[...]
> 4. You need to be an administrator on NT/2000/XP in order to install it

Which is often out of discussion in corporate environment.
Pity :-( .

--
Tomasz Papszun SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland | And it's only
tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/ | ones and zeros.
RE: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]

It's easy to create and distribute the installation as a MSI package. An
administrator can then publish this package through an AD Group Policy
(works on Win2k/XP with Win2K/2003 domain) and this doesn't require the
user be an administrator.

If you run WinNT domain and/or workstations you'll need to create a
script that runs the installation with "run as" rights.

Installation of AV software with these methods is normal :-)

Best regards,
Diego d'Ambra
Re: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:12:36 +0200
Tomasz Papszun <tomek-clam-devel@lodz.tpsa.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 at 19:05:12 +1100, Alex Cherney wrote:
> [...]
> > 4. You need to be an administrator on NT/2000/XP in order to install
> > it
>
> Which is often out of discussion in corporate environment.
> Pity :-( .
>
> > (write permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are necessary). However you
> > may run it in an ordinary user account from python sources.

Kurde, tego listu (od Cherneya) tez nie dostalem.

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
Re: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 at 22:45:51 +0200, Diego d'Ambra wrote:

> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 at 19:05:12 +1100, Alex Cherney wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 4. You need to be an administrator on NT/2000/XP in order to install
> it
> >
> > Which is often out of discussion in corporate environment.
> > Pity :-( .
>
> It's easy to create and distribute the installation as a MSI package. An
> administrator can then publish this package through an AD Group Policy

But I just was talking about a situation where an administrator is _not_
going to bother himself with any "strange", unofficial etc. software.
And not only because of laziness but also due to the corporate policy.

> (works on Win2k/XP with Win2K/2003 domain) and this doesn't require the
> user be an administrator.
>
> If you run WinNT domain and/or workstations you'll need to create a
> script that runs the installation with "run as" rights.
>
> Installation of AV software with these methods is normal :-)

Yes, of a software approved by the corporate policy. And I'm talking
about a user who wants to install Clamav on his own.

Re: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
>On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:12:36 +0200
>Tomasz Papszun <tomek-clam-devel@lodz.tpsa.pl> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 at 19:05:12 +1100, Alex Cherney wrote: [...]
>>

>>>4. You need to be an administrator on NT/2000/XP in order to install
>>>

>>>it
>>>

>>Which is often out of discussion in corporate environment. Pity :-( .

Well, in order to install windows explorer context menu shell extension
you need to write to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry key, it won't work
otherwise. If you leave explorer menu integration out during setup then
you can install as ordinary user. Current setup though it will complain
about HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE because it writes installation path there, I
will change it in future so it will be possible to install without admin
privileges when Explorer integration is not selected.

>>>(write permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are necessary). However you
>>>

>>>may run it in an ordinary user account from python sources.
>>>

>Tomasz Kojm wrote:
>

>Kurde, tego listu (od Cherneya) tez nie dostalem.

I will repost last message for those who didn't get it... I am working
on new release with more settings (as Tomasz Kojm suggested) and MS
Outlook integration.
---
Hi,

I have decided to rename WinClamAV to ClamWin, which in my opinion is
shorter and easier to pronounce. Also the project has been moved to
http://clamwin.sourceforge.net (Please update name and links on
www.clamav.net contrib and binary pages)

Now to the software. I have made several updates to the program (release
0.1c):
1. Main scanner window applicaton runs on Linux too. All you need is
Python 2.2 and lates wxPython rpm
(http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries). Then download the
source code, or get it from CVS and run python ClamWin.py. Please let me
know how it goes as I only tested it on RH9.
2. Scanner will display the contents of log file (created with --log
option) at the end of scan, so errors/infected files are displayed.
3. \tmp directory woes have been solved by adding
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/tmp
registry key

Re: ClamWin 0.1c released on SourceForge [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 at 12:53:46 +1000, Alex Cherney wrote:
> >On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:12:36 +0200
> >Tomasz Papszun <tomek-clam-devel@lodz.tpsa.pl> wrote:
> >>Which is often out of discussion in corporate environment. Pity :-( .
> >>
> Well, in order to install windows explorer context menu shell extension
> you need to write to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry key, it won't work
> otherwise. If you leave explorer menu integration out during setup then
> you can install as ordinary user. Current setup though it will complain
> about HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE because it writes installation path there, I
> will change it in future so it will be possible to install without admin
> privileges when Explorer integration is not selected.

It would be good. The Explorer integration isn't the basic (necessary)
feature and it's always better to have the possibility of installing
ClamWin without administrator priviliges and without the Explorer
integration than not to install it at all when not having admin privs.

> I will repost last message for those who didn't get it... I am working

I have already forwarded it to T. Kojm. His reply wasn't intended for
the list, of course.

> on new release with more settings (as Tomasz Kojm suggested) and MS
> Outlook integration.

Thank you