- /etc/ssl/certs
- /var/lib/clamav

If any of the aforementioned folders is a symlink, no database update
by freshclam is possible.
Cf. bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clamav/+bug/1920615.

Please submit your patches to our Github: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-devel/pulls

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [Feature request] Support Linux symlinks for all configuration and database folders [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021, jean-christophe manciot wrote:

> On Ubuntu, freshclam 0.103.0+dfsg-3.1 does not support symlinks for
> any of the following:
> - /etc/clamav
> - /etc/ssl
> - /etc/ssl/certs
> - /var/lib/clamav
>
> If any of the aforementioned folders is a symlink, no database update
> by freshclam is possible.
> Cf. bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clamav/+bug/1920615.

I'm not sure that this is a ClamAV issue. Using version 0.103.1 built
from source, on the Raspberry Pi OS (which like Ubuntu is a derivative
of Debian) I do not see this problem - although I admit my testing was
perfunctory. After renaming /etc/clamav/ to /etc/clamav.real/, then
pointing a symlink /etc/clamav/ to the renamed directory, I used the
freshclam utility manually to update the databases on the system. It
produced the expected result - in this case the 'daily' database was
one update step out of date, and it was updated successfully.

Are you using SELinux, AppArmor or similar?

--

73,
Ged.