Mailing List Archive

Documentation tweaks.
Hi there,

[1]

The following appears at http://www.clamav.net/downloads .

[quote]
Virus Database

For ClamAV to work properly, both the ClamAV engine and the ClamAV
Virus Database (CVD) must be kept up to date.

Freshclam should perform these updates automatically. Instructions for
setting up Freshclam can be found in the documentation section. If
your network is segmented or the end hosts are unable to reach the
Internet, you should investigate setting up a private local mirror. If
this is not viable, you may use these direct download links: [snip]
[/quote]

This seems to me to be rather misleading in that it seems to say that
freshclam should automatically update the ClamAV engine. It does not
do that (and in my view it could be dangerous for it to attempt to do
such a thing).

Perhaps the section could be reworded, something like:

"Each time it wakes up, freshclam first checks that the ClamAV engine
is up to date, and issues a warning if it is not. Whether the engine
is up to date or not it will then automatically update the database.
Instructions for setting up Freshclam can be found in the ..."

[2]

In the 0.103.0-rc2 tarball, README.md says

[quote]
#### Build from Source on Linux/Unix/Mac

For basic compile and install instructions on Linux/Unix platforms,
check out the [install instructions](INSTALL.md).
[/quote]

There is no file 'INSTALL.md'. The file is 'INSTALL.autotools.md'.

--

73,
Ged.

Please submit your patches to our Github: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-devel/pulls

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: Documentation tweaks. [ In reply to ]
Good catch. I’d you want to make a pull request to fix that, I will accept it right away.

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: Documentation tweaks. [ In reply to ]
> There is no file 'INSTALL.md'. The file is 'INSTALL.autotools.md'.

Whoops! Yes the INSTALL.md file was moved. Will update it.

-Micah

Re: Documentation tweaks. [ In reply to ]
Hi Joel,

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Joel Esler wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2020, at 06:10, G.W. Haywood ... wrote:
>>
>> [1]
>> The following appears at http://www.clamav.net/downloads .
>> Perhaps the section could be reworded, something like:
>>
>> [2]
>> In the 0.103.0-rc2 tarball, README.md says ...
>
> ... pull request to fix that, I will accept it right away.

I've done a PR for the README.md fix in [2], but I haven't managed to
stumble upon the source for the documentation for 'downloads' in [1].

Where is it?

Patches would be a lot easier Joel. Using Github it took four hours
and ~200MBytes of downloads to insert ten characters into a text file
for you.

--

73,
Ged.