Mailing List Archive

clamav-milter patch
Here is a patch for clamav-milter.c that fixes forking a daemon on
Debian, sets 'port' to an unsigned short, calls clamfi_cleanup () in
clamfi_close () and checks for integer underflow in clamfi_cleanup ().
The patch is for the clamav-devel-20031001 snapshot.

I'm still seeing instability in clamd and clamav-milter. I get
segmentation faults if I run clamav-devel-20031001 without
--max-children with MaxThreads set in clamav.conf. I'll keep the list
posted.

Joe

--
Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river.
--Lao Tse
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
Here's the patch I spoke of:

Joe

--
Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river.
--Lao Tse
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 9:13 pm, Joe Talbott wrote:

> I'm still seeing instability in clamd and clamav-milter. I get
> segmentation faults if I run clamav-devel-20031001 without
> --max-children with MaxThreads set in clamav.conf. I'll keep the list
> posted.

This was fixed a week ago in CVS. Please upgrade.

> Joe

- -Nigel Horne

- --
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh@despammed.com http://www.bandsman.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/hP01hTUd3VwpF6IRAnYVAKCubX1T3JwXl1TAHau5MFQXQc0v5wCfUYys
xbUdoTtROc0FZB1LgqZFTew=
=04io
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 9:13 pm, Joe Talbott wrote:
> Here is a patch for clamav-milter.c that fixes forking a daemon on
> Debian,

This patch has not been relevant since version 0.60f. I would strongly advise you
all to check with code's authors before undertaking work, the number of times I see people
re-inventing the wheel is depressingly large.

- -Nigel

- --
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh@despammed.com http://www.bandsman.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/hPughTUd3VwpF6IRAkwpAKCJ+ymoPgxrN2MIcCP0UH83x6igwgCaAn+V
zHLvoIIi9dUQQ6NpIEoqa0I=
=++Lp
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Nigel Horne wrote:

> On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 9:13 pm, Joe Talbott wrote:
> > Here is a patch for clamav-milter.c that fixes forking a daemon on
> > Debian,
>
> This patch has not been relevant since version 0.60f. I would strongly advise you
> all to check with code's authors before undertaking work, the number of times I see people
> re-inventing the wheel is depressingly large.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to release a new version of clamav if there
are indeed a significant number of stability fixes since 0.60. Telling
people to use CVS snapshots only works for so long.

-Rob

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * rjs3@andrew.cmu.edu * 412.268.7456
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----
Version: 3.12
GCS/IT/CM/PA d- s+: a-- C++++$ ULS++++$ P+++$ L+++(++++) E W+ N o? K-
w O- M-- V-- PS+ PE++ Y+ PGP+ t+@ 5+++ R@ tv-@ b+ DI+++ G e h r- y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 11:09 PM, Nigel Horne wrote:
> This patch has not been relevant since version 0.60f. I would strongly
> advise you
> all to check with code's authors before undertaking work, the number
> of times I see people
> re-inventing the wheel is depressingly large.

Why isn't 0.60f available on SourceForge? I'm assuming (hoping) that
it corrects a lot of the problems I'm seeing with MIME parsing.

In Joe's original message, it sounded like he was using a CVS snapshot
from October 1. Is 0.60f newer than October 1st?

SourceForge is having problems, so I can't browse it right now. Is
0.60f tagged in the CVS tree? Is there a place where various CVS
snapshots have been recommended based on stability?

--
Tom Collins - tom@tomlogic.com
Note: The Tom Logic offices will be closed October 23 to November 18.
QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/ Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/
Info on the Sniffter hand-held Network Tester: http://sniffter.com/
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:35:28 -0400 (EDT)
Rob Siemborski <rjs3@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Nigel Horne wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 9:13 pm, Joe Talbott wrote:
> > > Here is a patch for clamav-milter.c that fixes forking a daemon on
> > > Debian,
> >
> > This patch has not been relevant since version 0.60f. I would
> > strongly advise you all to check with code's authors before
> > undertaking work, the number of times I see people re-inventing the
> > wheel is depressingly large.
>
> Perhaps it would be reasonable to release a new version of clamav if
> there are indeed a significant number of stability fixes since 0.60.
> Telling people to use CVS snapshots only works for so long.

New version is almost finished but we need more cvd testing on different
systems and architectures before we switch freshclam to use it.

Best regards,
Tomasz Kojm
--
oo ..... zolw@konarski.edu.pl
(\/)\......... http://www.konarski.edu.pl/~zolw
\..........._ I nie zapomnij kliknac w brzuszek...
//\ /\\ <- C. Amboinensis www.pajacyk.pl
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thursday 09 Oct 2003 7:35 pm, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> Perhaps it would be reasonable to release a new version of clamav if there
> are indeed a significant number of stability fixes since 0.60. Telling
> people to use CVS snapshots only works for so long.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect developers to work from the same code and/or to
check if the code they're about to work on has already been fixed by the author/maintainer. After
all this is clamav-devel, not clamav-users.

> -Rob

- -Nigel

- --
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh@despammed.com http://www.bandsman.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/hk92hTUd3VwpF6IRAiAkAJ9s/HUUY/qT7IdIju3iYV0zutp9JgCfRDUg
aO3MLUzCwu9TFZ5/uI2fELo=
=ZvQD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thursday 09 Oct 2003 10:28 pm, Tom Collins wrote:

> Is 0.60f newer than October 1st?

No.

- -Nigel

- --
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh@despammed.com http://www.bandsman.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/hlDRhTUd3VwpF6IRAsTAAJ9A0PWdItfP7wO+7JltUfLh3kbTSQCbBcsY
oSAD+YI3SeNJrTrxZkrbqF0=
=h1kg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thursday 09 Oct 2003 10:28 pm, Tom Collins wrote:

> Why isn't 0.60f available on SourceForge?

Because it's in the development tree not the release tree (remember this is the
developer's mailing list, not the user's mailing list).

> SourceForge is having problems, so I can't browse it right now. Is
> 0.60f tagged in the CVS tree?

Yes, that's why I said go to CVS to get the software.

> Is there a place where various CVS
> snapshots have been recommended based on stability?

Yes.

> Tom Collins - tom@tomlogic.com

- -Nigel

- --
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh@despammed.com http://www.bandsman.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/hlInhTUd3VwpF6IRAixeAJ9cDcs4DErmPgtpPIOmen5l8nUgDwCcC9nv
ZPH3Ka3FBxwsmiCtgnqLhcc=
=Zxn+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 11:31 PM, Nigel Horne wrote:
>> Why isn't 0.60f available on SourceForge?
>
> Because it's in the development tree not the release tree (remember
> this is the
> developer's mailing list, not the user's mailing list).

On the vpopmail and qmailadmin projects, we have separate -stable and
-devel releases.

>> SourceForge is having problems, so I can't browse it right now. Is
>> 0.60f tagged in the CVS tree?
>
> Yes, that's why I said go to CVS to get the software.

I just went to browse CVS, and there's only one branch, and no release
tags. Where can I go to download 0.60f?

>> Is there a place where various CVS
>> snapshots have been recommended based on stability?
>
> Yes.

OK, and where would that be?

Look, I have a production server running 0.60. I have a development
server that I'm trying to build a robust and simple replacement for
clamdmail on (to integrate clam scanning into qmail). I can either
have this development server run 0.60 (the latest release on
SourceForge which has major MIME problems and can't detect many viruses
in email messages), or an arbitrary export from CVS.

I'm watching you say tell other developers that they're wasting time
building patches on current CVS snapshots. Are the nightly snapshots
broken and not pulling from the correct location? Does the anonymous
CVS server have relatively (within 24 hours) up-to-date code? Is there
another codebase that the developers don't have access to?

--
Tom Collins - tom@tomlogic.com
Note: The Tom Logic offices will be closed October 23 to November 18.
QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/ Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/
Info on the Sniffter hand-held Network Tester: http://sniffter.com/
Re: clamav-milter patch [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Tom Collins wrote:

> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 11:31 PM, Nigel Horne wrote:
> >> Why isn't 0.60f available on SourceForge?
> >
> > Because it's in the development tree not the release tree (remember
> > this is the developer's mailing list, not the user's mailing list).
>
> On the vpopmail and qmailadmin projects, we have separate -stable and
> -devel releases.
>
> >> SourceForge is having problems, so I can't browse it right now. Is
> >> 0.60f tagged in the CVS tree?
> >
> > Yes, that's why I said go to CVS to get the software.
>
> I just went to browse CVS, and there's only one branch, and no release
> tags. Where can I go to download 0.60f?

Hello.

I would be interested in finding out a way to retreive 0.60f - it would be
great if someone could post information about this, because I'm sure that
I'm not alone in the desire to do this.

After much reading through CVS documentation, I came to the conclusion
that to fetch 0.60f tagged sources, one must execute the following:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net/cvsroot/clamav co -r "0.60f" clamav-devel

However, after reading through the cvs sources, I also came to the
conclusion that because the first character of the -r argument is a
number, cvs interprets it as a revision and then baulks at the 'f'
character.

Using -r TAG:0.60f also didn't ring the cherries, so I'm stumped.

Looking at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/clamav/clamav-devel/
I didn't see anything that looked like a suitable tag to use. :(

Thanks,
Al.