Mailing List Archive

how to avoid false positive in clamAV
Hi ClamAV user, developer,

I am new to clamAV. I like its design.

While scanning i saw few false positive virus. I search on internet and
found out that i can avoid these false positive by writing md5 sum to
local.ign file and putting this file in /var/lib/clamav/* directory.
then restarting clamd daemon.

Its partially working, means it working when i scan false positive file
with clamscan -d and its not working with clamdscan.

Steps for creating local.ign file:

$ sigtool --md5 my_file_name.exe >> local.ign

after that i put this file in /var/lib/clamav/* directory and restarted
clamd daemon.

when i execute $ clamscan -d /var/lib/clamav/local.ign my_file_name.exe
then its not reporting false positive, its working perfectly.

But when i scan this file using clamdscan then its still reporting false
positive.

Could anyone help me regarding this false positive avoidance.

I can not submit my false positive file because of some business ethics
and compliance.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Gaurav

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] how to avoid false positive in clamAV [ In reply to ]
To whitelist specific files this way, you need to add the m5sum to a file with the .fp extension. So, in your example, it should be sigtool --md5 my_file_name.exe >> local.fp

If you want to ignore the signature altogether, you add the signature name to a file with the extension ign2.

For what it's worth, this is on page 23 of the "signatures.pdf" document that ships with the ClamAV source code.

Best regards
Mark