Mailing List Archive

memory usage clam 0.98.1 vs 0.98.4?
When clamav went to 0.98.4, we had to remain on 0.98.1 due to cl_load()
failing. Over Christmas I've had time to investigate why. (I'm aware
that 0.98.5 is the latest, I'll be trying that out later).

With 0.98.1, we are scanning email on a number of quite small machines
with only 416M memory, without problems. When I tried to upgrade (the
libraries) to 0.98.4, cl_load() would fail with error 20 "Can't
allocate memory". Using a xen guest, I figured I would just increase
the memory until I knew how much was needed. I went up to 3Gb, still
seeing "cl_load() failed, error 20: Can't allocate memory".

Surely this isn't about memory? We're using our own daemon (a la
clamd), but that hasn't changed since 2010. Did anything significant
change in 0.98.4 that might cause this issue? Any and all hints
appreciated.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: memory usage clam 0.98.1 vs 0.98.4? [ In reply to ]
Per Jessen wrote:

> When clamav went to 0.98.4, we had to remain on 0.98.1 due to
> cl_load()
> failing. Over Christmas I've had time to investigate why. (I'm aware
> that 0.98.5 is the latest, I'll be trying that out later).
>
> With 0.98.1, we are scanning email on a number of quite small machines
> with only 416M memory, without problems. When I tried to upgrade (the
> libraries) to 0.98.4, cl_load() would fail with error 20 "Can't
> allocate memory". Using a xen guest, I figured I would just increase
> the memory until I knew how much was needed. I went up to 3Gb, still
> seeing "cl_load() failed, error 20: Can't allocate memory".
>
> Surely this isn't about memory? We're using our own daemon (a la
> clamd), but that hasn't changed since 2010. Did anything significant
> change in 0.98.4 that might cause this issue? Any and all hints
> appreciated.

It would appear that 0.98.5 has solved this issue, sorry about the
noise.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.1°C)

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml