Mailing List Archive

Re: Clamav-win32 Memory Scan
Bump... Can anyone confirm that clamav-win does not scan memory resident
files but files associated with resident processes from disk?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Gionta
Cyber Defense Lab
Re: Clamav-win32 Memory Scan [ In reply to ]
On 09/04/2012 15:31, Jason Gionta wrote:
> Bump... Can anyone confirm that clamav-win does not scan memory resident
> files but files associated with resident processes from disk?
>
> Thanks,

ClamWin (not clamav-win32 the official port) scans on disk processes
loaded in memory (as you think), and if an executable "looks" (by using
some heuristics) packed it gets dumped from memory and then scanned,
tough not very useful because of missing signatures of such kind
It's not really scanning memory, but it can easy spot loaded malware
without scanning the whole system

Regards

--
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya@netfarm.it>
EDP Project Leader

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?
Re: Clamav-win32 Memory Scan [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the follow up. I had the wrong impression. I'll have to take
another look.

You also raised another concern of mine. Is it correct that clamav does
not contain signatures for memory resident only malware?

Thanks again,

Jason