developed kernel drivers on both Solaris and FreeBSD, system libraries and
utilities on Solaris.

I am willing to work hard and start at the bottom (I.e. contributing bug
fixes etc.) I am willing to work outside my area of prior experience (for
example Windows or Mac development)

Could you please let me know how I can go about becoming a contributor.

Thanks,
Vikram
Re: I would like to contribute as a developer to the Clam-AV project [ In reply to ]
On 9 April 2012 04:23, Vikram Hegde <vikhegde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in contributing as a developer to the clam-av project.
>
> Some background about me:  I have over 14 years of professional (industry)
> kernel development experience in Unix like operating systems including
> Solaris and FreeBSD. I was a member of the Solaris kernel team at Sun for
> over 12 years. I have a lot of experience debugging multi-threaded kernel
> code with access only to assembly code. I have very good knowledge of Unix
> kernel internals, C and assembly and very strong Unix user-level programming
> as well, including Posix threads, POSIX API, generic UNIX API. I have
> developed kernel drivers on both Solaris and FreeBSD, system libraries and
> utilities on Solaris.
>
> I am willing to work hard and start at the bottom (I.e. contributing bug
> fixes etc.)  I am willing to work outside my area of prior experience (for
> example Windows or Mac development)
>
> Could you please let me know how I can go about becoming a contributor.

As you have just suggested, the common way to becoming a contributor
to Free software projects is to contribute!

If you annoy the developers with too many good patches they may well
punish you by recognising you as a developer as well.

Chris
Re: I would like to contribute as a developer to the Clam-AV project [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:23:42 -0700 Vikram Hegde <vikhegde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in contributing as a developer to the clam-av project.
>
> Some background about me: I have over 14 years of professional (industry)
> kernel development experience in Unix like operating systems including
> Solaris and FreeBSD. I was a member of the Solaris kernel team at Sun for
> over 12 years. I have a lot of experience debugging multi-threaded kernel
> code with access only to assembly code. I have very good knowledge of Unix
> kernel internals, C and assembly and very strong Unix user-level programming
> as well, including Posix threads, POSIX API, generic UNIX API. I have
> developed kernel drivers on both Solaris and FreeBSD, system libraries and
> utilities on Solaris.
>
> I am willing to work hard and start at the bottom (I.e. contributing bug
> fixes etc.) I am willing to work outside my area of prior experience (for
> example Windows or Mac development)
>
> Could you please let me know how I can go about becoming a contributor.

Hi Vikram,

thank you for your interest in contributing to ClamAV.

We have a bunch of possible improvements listed here:

http://wiki.clamav.net/bin/view/Main/GoogleSummerOfCode2012

For example the flash (ActionScript 3) disassembly is something that
would be very useful for our signature writers.

Please let me know if you're interested in working on any of those ideas.

Thanks again,

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
Re: I would like to contribute as a developer to the Clam-AV project [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:23:42 -0700 Vikram Hegde <vikhegde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am interested in contributing as a developer to the clam-av project.
>>
>> Some background about me:  I have over 14 years of professional (industry)
>> kernel development experience in Unix like operating systems including
>> Solaris and FreeBSD. I was a member of the Solaris kernel team at Sun for
>> over 12 years. I have a lot of experience debugging multi-threaded kernel
>> code with access only to assembly code. I have very good knowledge of Unix
>> kernel internals, C and assembly and very strong Unix user-level programming
>> as well, including Posix threads, POSIX API, generic UNIX API. I have
>> developed kernel drivers on both Solaris and FreeBSD, system libraries and
>> utilities on Solaris.
>>
>> I am willing to work hard and start at the bottom (I.e. contributing bug
>> fixes etc.)  I am willing to work outside my area of prior experience (for
>> example Windows or Mac development)
>>
>> Could you please let me know how I can go about becoming a contributor.
>
> Hi Vikram,
>
> thank you for your interest in contributing to ClamAV.
>
> We have a bunch of possible improvements listed here:
>
> http://wiki.clamav.net/bin/view/Main/GoogleSummerOfCode2012
>
> For example the flash (ActionScript 3) disassembly is something that
> would be very useful for our signature writers.
>
> Please let me know if you're interested in working on any of those ideas.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> --
>   oo    .....         Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
>  (\/)\.........         http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
>     \..........._         0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
>       //\   /\              Tue Apr 10 19:30:01 CEST 2012
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
> Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net

Hi Tomasz,

I would be very happy to work on the Flash disassembler. I will get to
work on it immediately.

Thanks for the opportunity,
Vikram
Re: I would like to contribute as a developer to the Clam-AV project [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:04:34 -0700 Vikram Hegde <vikhegde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> I would be very happy to work on the Flash disassembler. I will get to
> work on it immediately.

Great to hear this.

Thanks in advance!

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Tue Apr 10 20:49:01 CEST 2012