A user reported me he is having problems to build it because llvm he
has installed is version 2.9, like you can see at [1].

Is it intentional? If not, is it easy to be fixed? I can add a patch on
the ports collection to fix it on current clamav version.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/157147

Regards
--
Renato Botelho
Re: Is it possible to build clamav with llvm 2.9? [ In reply to ]
On 05/19/2011 03:56 PM, Renato Botelho wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have an option on FreeBSD ports collection to build clamav using
> llvm that was already installed in the system. It reduces a lot the time
> to build clamav.
>
> A user reported me he is having problems to build it because llvm he
> has installed is version 2.9, like you can see at [1].
>
> Is it intentional?

LLVM isn't API compatible between versions and 2.9 wasn't released yet
at the time of 0.97.

> If not, is it easy to be fixed? I can add a patch on
> the ports collection to fix it on current clamav version.
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/157147

0.97.1 (and current master and 0.97 branches) have support for building
with external LLVM 2.9, which I've tested to work at least on Linux.

The patch is here:
http://git.clamav.net/gitweb?p=clamav-devel.git;a=commitdiff;h=0c79cc552990ad3af1f864929d44286632c963ac;hp=0e34854a7bda91540105e3ffd93050745365f80f

Can you try if it works on FreeBSD?

Note that the patch removes the ability to build with external 2.8 as
that one is buggy on latest (Sandy Bridge?) Intel i5/i7 chips.
The internal 2.8 version used by ClamAV has 2 patches backported from 2.9.

If you want to support building with both 2.8 and 2.9 its a matter of
patching configure.ac/configure to allow both, the source code itself
has ifdefs to support both 2.8 and 2.9. Let me know if you want that or
just 2.9 is enough.

Best regards,
--Edwin
Re: Is it possible to build clamav with llvm 2.9? [ In reply to ]
2011/5/19 Török Edwin <edwin@clamav.net>:
> On 05/19/2011 03:56 PM, Renato Botelho wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We have an option on FreeBSD ports collection to build clamav using
>> llvm that was already installed in the system. It reduces a lot the time
>> to build clamav.
>>
>> A user reported me he is having problems to build it because llvm he
>> has installed is version 2.9, like you can see at [1].
>>
>> Is it intentional?
>
> LLVM isn't API compatible between versions and 2.9 wasn't released yet
> at the time of 0.97.
>
>> If not, is it easy to be fixed? I can add a patch on
>> the ports collection to fix it on current clamav version.
>>
>> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/157147
>
> 0.97.1 (and current master and 0.97 branches) have support for building
> with external LLVM 2.9, which I've tested to work at least on Linux.
>
> The patch is here:
> http://git.clamav.net/gitweb?p=clamav-devel.git;a=commitdiff;h=0c79cc552990ad3af1f864929d44286632c963ac;hp=0e34854a7bda91540105e3ffd93050745365f80f
>
> Can you try if it works on FreeBSD?
>
> Note that the patch removes the ability to build with external 2.8 as
> that one is buggy on latest (Sandy Bridge?) Intel i5/i7 chips.
> The internal 2.8 version used by ClamAV has 2 patches backported from 2.9.
>
> If you want to support building with both 2.8 and 2.9 its a matter of
> patching configure.ac/configure to allow both, the source code itself
> has ifdefs to support both 2.8 and 2.9. Let me know if you want that or
> just 2.9 is enough.

Hi Török,

Do you guys have a prevision for 0.97.1 release?

If this release is comming soon, i will just patch freebsd
port to build against llvm 2.9 and wait, if it'll take a long
time, would be nice to leave port working with both versions.

I'll let you know when i finish testing it.

Regards
--
Renato Botelho
Re: Is it possible to build clamav with llvm 2.9? [ In reply to ]
On 05/19/11 16:22, Renato Botelho wrote:
> Hi Török,
>
> Do you guys have a prevision for 0.97.1 release?
>
> If this release is comming soon, i will just patch freebsd
> port to build against llvm 2.9 and wait, if it'll take a long
> time, would be nice to leave port working with both versions.

Renato,

We are regression testing the code right now.
If all is good, then it'll be a matter of days, or one week.
If bugs are found, then it might need a little bit more.

Cheers,
--acab
Re: Is it possible to build clamav with llvm 2.9? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM, aCaB <acabng@digitalfuture.it> wrote:
> On 05/19/11 16:22, Renato Botelho wrote:
>> Hi Török,
>>
>> Do you guys have a prevision for 0.97.1 release?
>>
>> If this release is comming soon, i will just patch freebsd
>> port to build against llvm 2.9 and wait, if it'll take a long
>> time, would be nice to leave port working with both versions.
>
> Renato,
>
> We are regression testing the code right now.
> If all is good, then it'll be a matter of days, or one week.
> If bugs are found, then it might need a little bit more.

So the current patch is fine to me, thank you for quick response.

--
Renato Botelho