Mailing List Archive

New OpenSource Community Manager Announcement
All --

This is just an announcement to let the users of our OpenSource products know that we have a new community manager.

Over the past year or so, Mike Guiterman, our former Community Manager has taken on a different role within Sourcefire. In the meantime, I've been filling some of the void.

For those of you that weren't able to make the Snort Rally/Pig Roast this past Friday at Sourcefire HQ, I have been officially assigned the role of Sourcefire's OpenSource Community Manager.

I know many of you, but for those who I don't, I came from the OpenSource community, working for the government using Snort in actual deployments. I submit rules to VRT, and was one of the original submitters to BleedingSnort (Now Emerging Threats). I've worked with both the OpenSource community and with our Corporate customers since I came to Sourcefire giving me first hand knowledge at how the community plays a vital role in the direction, development, and QA of our products.

I'll be focusing on product innovation in our OpenSource projects, as well as:
Communicating with the communities.
Being available to answer questions and receive comments.
Coordinating the release of OpenSource project software.
Providing whitepapers and instructional materials on our software.
Providing the go-between for the OpenSource communities and Sourcefire software developers, including receiving OSS feature requests and bugs. Entering these into our internal bug tracking system, and following up with the submitters.
Snort-Groups. Standing these back up, both virtually and in person.
Speaking about our software at events and shows.
I have several projects in mind alerady, but the first thing is I want to hear from you. Suggestions, ideas, complaints, and compliments.
How we can make things better.
Problems with Snort, ClamAV, DaemonLogger, or Razorback
Features you'd like to see with these projects
What isn't working now?
What is working now!
How can we make bug tracking more efficient?
How can we make False positive submissions better?
What can we put out (in terms of training and whitepapers) for better understanding and results?
???
Let me hear it. Email me directly at jesler@sourcefire.com. I want to be able to track your ideas so I can write you back when we make movement.

I'll summarize your submissions in a blog post in the future and let everyone know where we are at with the progress of these great ideas.

I'd like to thank people both internally at Sourcefire and the community for building the community into what it is today, and I look forward to a great future! Also thanks to Mike Guiterman for his years of hard service working with our OpenSource communities.

--
Joel Esler
OpenSource Community Manager