automate those to identify as the GUI, or ensure the user fills those
in and understands not to submit more than 2 per day (for example).

Or, if there are objections, there is an api for Virustotal, and that
way you wouldn't deal as directly with this.

The quick, standalone version (non-GUI) is here:
http://clamtk.sf.net/submit.pl.html .

Thanks in advance,
Dave M
Re: automatic file submission [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:01:34 -0500 Dave M <dave.nerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add the ability to let end users automatically upload
> suspicious files from a GUI interface. I have two questions about
> this:
>
> 1. Do you have any objections with this kind of functionality? I
> can't imagine there would be too many submissions as a result as the
> GUI is for Linux, but there are a decent number of users in general.

Hi Dave,

please hard code some limits (eg. max 5 submissions per day). This will
help in case there's a bug in your app and it starts submitting all
files from a user's hard drive instead of selected ones ;-)

> 2. If there are no objections, is there anything you'd like me to add
> to the required website fields (name, email address, etc)? I could
> automate those to identify as the GUI, or ensure the user fills those
> in and understands not to submit more than 2 per day (for example).

The name/e-mail address is a must be. The user should also be able to
provide a description which is very welcome and (very important!) be
able to mark the file either as 'not detected' or 'false positive',

oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Wed Sep 1 11:15:23 CEST 2010
Re: automatic file submission [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:01:34 -0500 Dave M <dave.nerd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to add the ability to let end users automatically upload
>> suspicious files from a GUI interface.  I have two questions about
>> this:
>>
>> 1. Do you have any objections with this kind of functionality?  I
>> can't imagine there would be too many submissions as a result as the
>> GUI is for Linux, but there are a decent number of users in general.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> please hard code some limits (eg. max 5 submissions per day). This will
> help in case there's a bug in your app and it starts submitting all
> files from a user's hard drive instead of selected ones ;-)
>
>> 2. If there are no objections, is there anything you'd like me to add
>> to the required website fields (name, email address, etc)?  I could
>> automate those to identify as the GUI, or ensure the user fills those
>> in and understands not to submit more than 2 per day (for example).
>
> The name/e-mail address is a must be. The user should also be able to
> provide a description which is very welcome and (very important!) be
> able to mark the file either as 'not detected' or 'false positive',

Will do. And thanks!

Dave M
Re: automatic file submission [ In reply to ]
Hello Dave,

sorry for the late reply.

> > I'd like to add the ability to let end users automatically upload
> > suspicious files from a GUI interface. I have two questions about
> > this:
> please hard code some limits (eg. max 5 submissions per day). This will
> help in case there's a bug in your app and it starts submitting all
> files from a user's hard drive instead of selected ones ;-)

also please use a User-Agent that will help us to identify these kind of
submissions. Something like Programname/Automatic_Submission

Thanks,

Best regards

--
Luca Gibelli (luca _at_ clamav.net) ClamAV, a GPL anti-virus toolkit
[Tel] +39 0187 1851862 [Fax] +39 0187 1852252 [IM] nervous/jabber.linux.it
Re: automatic file submission [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Luca Gibelli <luca@clamav.net> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> sorry for the late reply.
>
>> > I'd like to add the ability to let end users automatically upload
>> > suspicious files from a GUI interface.  I have two questions about
>> > this:
>> please hard code some limits (eg. max 5 submissions per day). This will
>> help in case there's a bug in your app and it starts submitting all
>> files from a user's hard drive instead of selected ones ;-)
>
> also please use a User-Agent that will help us to identify these kind of
> submissions. Something like Programname/Automatic_Submission

Easy enough! Thank you again.

Dave M