Mailing List Archive

FreeBSD 6.2 ClamAV/zlib problems and solution
Hi,

I just had a chat on #clamav with 2 people having problem with ClamAV
0.96 on FreeBSD 6.2. (everything was OK on FreeBSD 6.3)

The symptom is that clamscan/clamd never starts, just loops infinitely
trying to load the DB, --debug shows:
Libclamav debug: in cli_tgzload()

The system was using zlib 1.2.3, and gzseek() looked broken (it always
returned 0 for gzseek(0, SEEK_CUR), in fact it moved the file position
to 0 again).

Solution was to use upstream zlib 1.2.3 instead of system one:
$ wget http://www.zlib.net/fossils/zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz
$ tar xzvf zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz
$ cd zlib-1.2.3
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr -s
$ make
# make install

Does FreeBSD 6.2 patch zlib in any way that could cause this error?

Best regards,
--Edwin
Re: FreeBSD 6.2 ClamAV/zlib problems and solution [ In reply to ]
2010/4/16 Török Edwin <edwintorok@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a chat on #clamav with 2 people having problem with ClamAV 0.96
> on FreeBSD 6.2. (everything was OK on FreeBSD 6.3)
>
> The symptom is that clamscan/clamd never starts, just loops infinitely
> trying to load the DB, --debug shows:
> Libclamav debug: in cli_tgzload()
>
> The system was using zlib 1.2.3, and gzseek() looked broken (it always
> returned 0 for gzseek(0, SEEK_CUR), in fact it moved the file position to 0
> again).
>
> Solution was to use upstream zlib 1.2.3 instead of system one:
> $ wget http://www.zlib.net/fossils/zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz
> $ tar xzvf zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz
> $ cd zlib-1.2.3
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr -s
> $ make
> # make install
>
> Does FreeBSD 6.2 patch zlib in any way that could cause this error?

Sometimes FreeBSD patch 3rd part products when import it
to src, but i can't confirm for this case, since it was imported
a long time ago.

I could make clamav port depend of zlib installed by ports when
FreeBSD is < 6.3, but i cannot commit this kind of changes to
ports tree because FreeBSD 6.2 is no longer supported since
May 31 2008, almost 2 years now.

Users are warned to upgrade to 6.4 at least, it will be supported
until November 2010.

--
Renato Botelho