Mailing List Archive

MWI and Multi -Tenanting
Hi,

Has anybody succesfully implemented MWI with multi tenanting on CCM 4.1.3 and Unity 4.0.5??

We have multiple customers on our callmanager and unity platform, some of these are smaller business, ad each of these has their own Partitions, and each of these partitions use the same DN range (eg 200x).

Other customers are in a generic partition, and their DN is their full DDI number.

We have set the MWI numbers (Full 10 digit numbers), but cannot get MWI to work.
The option for multi tenanting is set to turue within Callmanager Messaging Interfaces services, but I'm sure I need some transaltion patterns set, but can't work out what to do.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Darren Smith
Chief Operations Officer
Silver Communities

P 1300786755
D 0756575299
M 0405 847791
E darren@silvercommunities.com.au

DISCLAIMER: This email, together with any attachments, is intended for the named recipient(s) only; and may contain privileged and confidential information. If received in error, you are asked to inform the sender as quickly as possible and delete this email and any copies of this from your computer system network.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and /or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of Silver Communities Pty Ltd.
Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Darren,

I've setup multi-tenant CCM systems several times. A couple of
questions.

How do you have the MWI on/off DN's configured in CCM? Are they in
the same generic partition that your phone DN's are in? You will need
to set the MWI on/off numbers to a partition that all tenants have
access to AND the CSS that the Unity port(s) that are set for MWI
will need access to the Tenant Partitions.

tm

Tim Medley
medley@mac.com

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Forgive my idiotic question and somewhat asinine comment but...... Why
do so many providers of IPT CCM service feel like they need to overlap
multi-tenant extensions? Are there not enough numbers??? Do we have an
issue like we sort-of have between IPV4 and IPV6. I doubt it.... Easy
solution is don't overlap dialplans by having a solid design from the
get go. If you have the same last four digits in the DID range then just
call telco and have them send 7 digits instead of four.

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

<mailto:darren@silvercommunities.com.au>

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
or better yet change it at the gateway and CCM is none the wiser.

We do all of our digit manipulation at the gateway level.

I agree with you a solid dial plan solves so many problems

"Wydra, Jason" <jwydra@Burwood.com>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces@puck.nether.net
04/17/2006 11:38 PM

To: "Tim Medley" <medley@mac.com>, "Darren Smith"
<darren@silvercommunities.com.au>
cc: cisco-voip@puck.nether.net

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Good point, but if telco only sends the last 4 digits then you're hands
are tied. EXAMPLE:

357-4600

542-4600

Telco only sends four digits....... Nothing you can do on the gateway or
CCM as far as I know.

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

To: "Tim Medley" <medley@mac.com>, "Darren Smith"

jwydra@burwood.com <mailto:jwydra@burwood.com>

________________________________

medley@mac.com <mailto:medley@mac.com>

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
In large/complex and/or multi-tenant deployments I typically ask the
telco to send me all 10 digits. This makes it very easy for me to
control what digits get sent to CCM.

It's not always possible, since some telco's get pissy/confused/
arrogant when you ask for something slightly outside of normal, but
usually with a few escalated calls you can get what you want. I'm not
a control freak, but I find it is vastly easier for me to control the
digits I pass from the gateway to the CCM or other service instead of
having the telco just send me what they want.

tm

Tim Medley
medley@mac.com

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
10 digits would be even better. I've never done a multi-tenant but
common sense tells me your idea lends to the flexibility that would be
imperative in that type of environment. I'm ex-telco (but non analog)
"hint SBC/Ameriech" and I know how hard it is to get Telco to do
something. Escalation was a very common thing for me.

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Hi,
The MWI DN's are in a partition called PT-Extensions, this is accesable
by all users.
The CSS should be able to call both the phones and the Unity port.
Is there a way to test this??

The error that appears in the event log is as follows:

Cisco Unity-CM TSP device 19 (Cisco Unity port 16): An attempt to turn
ON the message waiting indicator (MWI) for extension 0756575298 received
Reorder tone from Cisco CallManager. The MWI ON Extension setting is
0721000000.

There is also another error:

Failed to set message waiting lamp for Darren Test, ext 0756575298,
switch 0, cluster 0, reason: SetMWI failed with [0x80004005; E_FAIL].

Thanks in advance.

Darren Smith

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
I don't have my CCM in front of me but is there a CSS for the MWI DNs in
CCM? I thought there was. If you left it as "none" then that might be
your problem.

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
That would be cheating Erick. I like fighting with Telco instead. :-)

Good call!! When was that available? I'm glad you read all of the
release notes and memorize them. Your solution is the best as always!!!

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
And the CSS on the voicemail ports should be set. This is off the top of
my head so forgive me if I'm off base. I'm sure Erick B. has the real
answer.

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
So does this only work with MGCP or what?

Jason Wydra

Consultant

burwood group, inc.

Phone: (312) 327-4677

Cell: (312) 493-2834

jwydra@burwood.com

________________________________

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Darren,

The “multiple tenant MWI mode” tells CM to apply translations patterns for
VM patterns.

There are several ways to do this but here is the best way I could think of
doing it.

Make sure all Unity subscribers have unique subscriber IDs or use the
extension remapping file in the X:\CommServer\IntLib\ExtensionMapping
directory in conjunction with the external phone number mask at the line
level. Using the full e164 for the subscriber ID would be good here.

Create two new partitions (A and B) and two new CSS (custA and custB).
Insert partitions A and B into the CSS that is assigned to the MWI DNs. The
custA CSS must contain the partition of the enduser DN in customer A. The
custB CSS must contain the partition of the enduser DN in customer B

Create two translation patterns.

1. Translation pattern= 2125551234, called transform mask= 1234, in
partition A with CSS custA.
2. Translation pattern= 5185551234, called transform mask= 1234, in
partition B with CSS custB.

This solves the problem of overlapping extensions and multi-tenancy.

I tested this in my lab and it works CCM 3.3(4) and Unity 4.0(4)

By the way make sure you have created a new voice profile for each customer.

Jake

_____

HYPERLINK "mailto:medley@mac.com"medley@mac.com

[...]

E HYPERLINK
"mailto:darren@silvercommunities.com.au"darren@silvercommunities.com.au

_____

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
Darren,

Here is a sample config I worked up using multitenant config to get around an issue where the vg248 used to strip leading 0's from mailbox numbers:
***********
A workaround is also possible using the MultiTenantMWIMode feature of CCM.
Set the MultiTenantMWIMode CCM Service parameter to true on each CCM node in
the cluster. Set the CSS of vg248 port 00 (virtual port) to allow it to call
the partition of the MWI On/Off numbers. Set the CSS of the MWI On/OFF numbers
to allow calling:
1. internal extensions not starting with 0 and
2. a special translation pattern

In the case of 4 digit extensions (3 digits when leading 0 is dropped)
configure the translation pattern to be XXX with called party transform = 0XXX
and css that allows calling all internal extensions.

Make sure to create a unique partition for the translation pattern.  Also make
sure to create a unique CSS for use by the MWI On/Off numbers.  Creating the
unique partition and CSS prevents the XXX pattern from interfering with normal
dialing.

A vg248 code version is now available to resolve this issue.  Upgrade to a
fixed version of vg248 code and configure the SMDI "DN length" option to be the
number of digits that should be used when going offhook to CCM for MWI calls.
The vg248 will use leading 0's (zeroes) to pad the DN out to the length specified.
***********
/Wes

Re: MWI and Multi -Tenanting [ In reply to ]
I have to agree with Tim. I've been in a multi-tenant CCM setup and 10
digits is the only way to go. Otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair
out.

-The phone DN's should be 10 digits.
-Each customer should have their own Partition and CSS.
-Each customer can have their own translation pattern (in their own
Partition) that can translate four digits to 10 to effectively provide 4 (or
3 or 5) digit dialing to the customer.

All telco's should be capable of sending 10 digits. It might take some
digging. If the sales or customer service give you problems tell them you
want to speak with Translations.

Of course, it can get a little more complicated and SRND might suggest other
methods but this has worked very well in my opinion.

The only problem with this is that Unity doesn't have partitions so Unity
voicemail is not multi-tenant friendly. Unless something has changed in the
newer Unity versions.

Justin