Mailing List Archive

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cost-Effective Public Certificate Authority for CUCM certificates
Digicert have killed the fact you could issue a cert for
host.sub.example.com on your *.example.com wildcard, instead they want
to charge you extra for those hosts so now I'm shopping around. The good
news is there's now other places that will do wildcards with unlimited
reissues (which most call "unlimited server licenses").

I tried Comodo/Sectigo Positive Multi Domain Wildcard SSL which can even
have multiple wildcards on the one certificate, but it only accepts CSRs
for *.example.com, which UCM/UC/IM&P won't generate. But perhaps that's
a limitation of the reseller I used. They also have the Comodo/Sectigo
Multi Domain SSL Certificate (FLEX) which lets you have host SANs, but
will charge you for each one.

Anyone had success with any other CAs recently?

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cost-Effective Public Certificate Authority for CUCM certificates [ In reply to ]
We use Entrust. But I think we had some sort of "Contract" that allowed for a specific number of certs to be issued, all on the credit system. Regardless of SANs.

But, you're right. Cisco collab is an expensive solution to provide certs for.

I'm really hoping that https://www.incommon.org/certificates/subscribe/ opens up to EDUs outside of the U.S. some time (soon).

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cost-Effective Public Certificate Authority for CUCM certificates [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately, Cisco doesn't allow for * certs with the UC platform.  If this is for Jabber MRA, they recently added support for ACME certificates, but I haven't used that.  The cheapest CA signed certs I've been able to find is ssls.com and the full set of certs for a typical cluster is going to set you back about $900 a year.  They have a couple of Collaboration packages that you can use for the multiple domains.  Also, they work well enough, but the support for ssls.com is pretty weak, so plan on at least a week to get your certs ordered, approved, and installed.
> [...]

>    On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Brian Meade <bmeade90@vt.edu
>    <mailto:bmeade90@vt.edu>> wrote:
>
>        I was originally going to go with that wildcard option but this
>        customer has 3 different presence domains to match their email
>        domains which makes the CUP-XMPP cert more complicated.
>
>        This is my personal email so no access to InCommon certificates
>        unfortunately.
>
>        On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM Matthew Ballard
>        <mballard@otis.edu <mailto:mballard@otis.edu>> wrote:
>
>            We used to use DigiCert Wildcard which offers that (where
>            you can issue multiple certificates with different private
>            keys from the same wildcard cert/purchase).____
>
>            __ __
>
>            We switched to using InCommon certificates, which it looks
>            like your University also subscribes to.  You should be able
>            to get them internally from whomever licensed that there, as

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca<mailto:IThelp@uoguelph.ca>

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cost-Effective Public Certificate Authority for CUCM certificates [ In reply to ]
We've been flipping a lot of customers over to NameCheap now. $50/year for
multi-SAN DV certificates is pretty hard to beat. For
CUCM/Unity/IM&P/UCCX/Expressway, ends up more like $250-$300/year.

They seem to issue certs pretty immediately since it's just Domain
Verification using email.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Cost-Effective Public Certificate Authority for CUCM certificates [ In reply to ]
My biggest concern is not signing a long term contract with one provider so that cert renewals are an easy button push and no loss of cert time.

We’ve been changing providers too often in my opinion. :(

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2022, at 4:09 PM, Brian Meade <bmeade90@vt.edu> wrote:

?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca

We've been flipping a lot of customers over to NameCheap now. $50/year for multi-SAN DV certificates is pretty hard to beat. For CUCM/Unity/IM&P/UCCX/Expressway, ends up more like $250-$300/year.

They seem to issue certs pretty immediately since it's just Domain Verification using email.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:17 PM Nick Russo via cisco-voip <cisco-voip@puck.nether.net<mailto:cisco-voip@puck.nether.net>> wrote:
Unfortunately, Cisco doesn't allow for * certs with the UC platform. If this is for Jabber MRA, they recently added support for ACME certificates, but I haven't used that. The cheapest CA signed certs I've been able to find is ssls.com<http://ssls.com> and the full set of certs for a typical cluster is going to set you back about $900 a year. They have a couple of Collaboration packages that you can use for the multiple domains. Also, they work well enough, but the support for ssls.com<http://ssls.com> is pretty weak, so plan on at least a week to get your certs ordered, approved, and installed.

Digicert have killed the fact you could issue a cert for host.sub.example.com<http://host.sub.example.com> on your *.example.com<http://example.com> wildcard, instead they want to charge you extra for those hosts so now I'm shopping around. The good news is there's now other places that will do wildcards with unlimited reissues (which most call "unlimited server licenses").

I tried Comodo/Sectigo Positive Multi Domain Wildcard SSL which can even have multiple wildcards on the one certificate, but it only accepts CSRs for *.example.com<http://example.com>, which UCM/UC/IM&P won't generate. But perhaps that's a limitation of the reseller I used. They also have the Comodo/Sectigo Multi Domain SSL Certificate (FLEX) which lets you have host SANs, but will charge you for each one.