800 Linden St.
Scranton PA 18510
570.941.4325
Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
Lisa, is it your copper or Verizons? If Verizon is removed, can you re-use
the copper for analog phones and use VG's?

That would probably be the most cost effective way to transition. Dropping
ethernet is the next option and not cost effective as. you've stated.

The other thing you could go with is wireless phones, but securing
redundant power may not be cost effective either, plus ensuring that your
wireless coverage has redundant power.

Sometimes you just have to keep things simple and stick with analog, as bad
as many of us detest it.

Good luck!
Charles

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
I'm seeing a lot of providers trying to remove true analog copper and put
their customers on SIP services with devices on-site to convert back to
copper. Probably worth just putting in some VG450's at that point and they
can run off 48V DC as well.

I know Phybridge also has some devices for doing PoE/Voice over a single
pair of CAT3 that I've used for campuses before if you want to go VoIP to
some of the call box devices.

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
We have our own copper plant and feed all our emergency type phones and call boxes from our emergency PBX. It was a necessary addition during our migration from our old PBX to VoIP. It has remained. It just had its battery plant replaced. It’s supposed to stay alive for 12 hours. Plenty of time to take care of evacuating places I think.

If we were ever required to replace it with traditional(?) VoIP it would have to be with an isolated router and analog gateway solution with SRST. We’d have to place similar analog sets at out campus police station to ensure they would still be able to contact them. The isolated pod would need to have a stack of UPS and battery extenders to ensure long life during power outage. Although I’m not certain whether additional ups batteries give you more load capacity or more duration. ????

I did a proof of concept once, two 3900 series routers with SRST and HSRP and it worked great. A couple of short ‘heartbeat’ cable between the routers ensured no split brain.

I once found a relay controlled 24 port patch panel that would have made an excellent addition to the fault tolerant design. Could never figure out though how to wire it up though.

Sent from my iPhone

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
We have essentially the same issue Lelio.

I just had to tone out three lines from a 10-story building to the basement
for three new elevator lines.

And I get Lisa's concern, AT&T is telling us as well that they're phasing
out copper service.

They seem to think we'll buy $150.00 internet service so that we can get a
sip device to provide analog dial tone to some piece of hardware that needs
it.

Like Lisa we have places where the call box is nowhere near where Internet
would be or any possible use for Internet.

Tim

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
What we've discovered here in North Carolina is that evidently the
elevators at least are being replaced by some sort of onboard video system
that uses Ethernet and Internet connectivity provided by you the building
owner.

However it does apparently use dial tone to start the conversation and then
the elevator assistance company can video back into check out what's going
on in the elevator.

I have not seen anywhere that North Carolina department of Labor has
changed the regulations on what is allowable for elevator and other safety
dial tone.

And yet as we've all heard Carrier seem to be abandoning analog dial tone
from the central office as quick as they possibly can.

And as I said in another response to this thread I have no intention of
buying $150 a month internet service for a blue box in a parking deck.

Nor do I want to backhaul sip or skinny dial tone from the parking deck
across multiple l2 l3 intersections in my network and provide full fault
tolerance on all of them until I hit my ISP.

And while I haven't had discussions with the city's legal department I
suspect their liability response would look a lot like Lisa's...

Tim

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
Interesting story. We were called in to participate in a planning meeting where our security office was about to order a new mini telephone system for all elevators on campus.

And I’m all, wait, what?

So at the meeting, I asked that we discuss the issues surrounding the move to get a new $150,000 mini telephone system, and I wanted to opportunity to fix it first.

Turns out, the replaced elevator phone equipment with multiplexors to save money and these multiplexors do a self test which triggers a call because we had plar enabled on the pbx.

Disabling plar on the pbx and putting the destination on the elevator phone multiplexor fixed the problem.

They were <- this -> close to signing the P.O.

Re: Copper plant [ In reply to ]
I was thinking about getting some of those ZTE cellular to analog adapters. Getting a cheap pay as you go service and voila. Instant service, no wires. There’d need to be some voltage work to tap into the pole electricity, but for the most part, it should work. Depending on your carrier and PSALI services, you might even be able to get a location stored somewhere.

Lelio