Mailing List Archive

CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working
Hello,

Working on an upgrade from CUC 10.5 to 14.

Publisher finished and didn't seem to have any issues.

After running the post upgrade check COP file it fails

1.1 FAIL Cluster Database Status (Node authentication and replication
status)

When I do a utils dbreplication status it shows

Enterprise Replication not active (62)
command failed -- unable to connect to server specified (5)

utils dbreplication runtimestate it says

Cluster Detailed View from CUC-01 (2 Servers):

PING DB/RPC/ REPL.
Replication REPLICATION SETUP
SERVER-NAME IP ADDRESS (msec) DbMon? QUEUE Group ID
(RTMT) & Details
----------- ---------- ------ ------- -----
----------- ------------------
CUC-01 X.X.X.X 0.018 Y/Y/Y -- (-)
(-) Replication Not Setup
CUC-02 X.X.X.X 0.125 Y/Y/Y -- (-)
(-) DB-diff

I've attempted to reset replication this way.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unity-connection/116942-technote-uc-00.html

It doesn't seem to be working for me. Replication status always just says
not setup

Any ideas?
Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Have you upgraded the subscriber? That needs to be done before database replication will work.

Thanks?

James

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
The subscriber will not upgrade.
I'm getting a failure on the pre-upgrade check for the subscriber.

1.1 FAIL Network status (NTP, DNS, Cluster Connectivity)
validate_network : Error, intra-cluster communication is broken,
unable
to connect to X.X.X.X

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
Yes, Publisher upgraded and is on 14.X.

The post upgrade COP file when run on the pub says.

1.1 FAIL Cluster Database Status (Node authentication and replication
status)

When I do a utils dbreplication status it shows

Enterprise Replication not active (62)
command failed -- unable to connect to server specified (5)

Is that normal when in a cluster that the post upgrade COP file fails with
this message or a symptom of the bug? You don't happen to have a bug ID do
you?

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
I wonder if it’s like cucm where you upgrade pub first without switch version then upgrade sub without switch version, then switch version on pub then on sub.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2022, at 2:07 PM, Mathew Miller <miller.mathew@gmail.com> wrote:

?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca

?

?

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
It's a refresh upgrade so you don't get any options.

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
The refresh upgrade with CUCM gives you the option to decide when to move to the new version but Unity Connection doesn’t. I didn’t find any bug ID around this, but I imagine you’ll have to either 1) switch the publisher back to 10.5 (utils sytem switch-version) and then upgrade the subscriber, or 2) rebuild the subscriber from scratch with 14.

Thanks,

James

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unity-connection/116942-technote-uc-00.html"]https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unity-connection/116942-technote-uc-00.html

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
It won’t upgrade or you are running the check and it’s failing? It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these myself, but if it’s just the check tool, try to just run the actual upgrade.

I believe the tool is intended to be run on all servers before you start anything.

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
That’s a really good point—the last time I did a refresh upgrade, I didn’t run the tool after upgrading each server—just after the cluster was upgraded.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio@uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio@uoguelph.ca>> wrote:
I wonder if it’s like cucm where you upgrade pub first without switch version then upgrade sub without switch version, then switch version on pub then on sub.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2022, at 2:07 PM, Mathew Miller <miller.mathew@gmail.com<mailto:miller.mathew@gmail.com>> wrote:
?
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca<mailto:IThelp@uoguelph.ca>

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
It was failing the upgrade, so I went to try the tool again. It seems I had an expired ip-sec cert which was causing the problem. I regenerated that and a couple of magic reboots and it seems to be working now.

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
That’s a needle in the haystack! Thanks for sharing the fix!

Re: CUC 10.5 to 14 ER Not working [ In reply to ]
I recall reading in the pre-upgrade steps for CUCM to check for expired certs.

The cucm steps seem more thought out than connection.

For example, cucm upgrade talks about vmTools refresh but connection doesn’t. Apparently.

Sent from my iPhone

?