Mailing List Archive

E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity
Hi All,

We are running into an issue and have sought help from Cisco TAC who has
not been able to help us on this issue. Currently we are running a Full
+E164 numbering Plan with both 5 digit Enterprise Alternate numbers and
+E.164 Alternate numbers. So to give an example of a Test phone I have set
up:

- Directory number: \+150259663629
- Enterprise Alt
- Number Mask: XXXXX
- Alternate Number: 63629
- Route Partition: 9999-EALT-PT
- +E.164 Alternate Number
- Number Mask: XXXXXXXXXX
- Alternate Number: 5025966329
- Route Partition: 0-KHC-EntAltExt

When this phone is dialed by either the 5 digit or 10 digit and forwards to
voicemail the redirected and last redirected number that Unity Receives is
the Dialed number, either the 5 digit or 10 digit, and as we have not
configured ALT extensions on the mailboxes it fails to find the correct
box. If I set the Alt ext on each Unity mail box it does function and I can
do that for the 10 digit, I am going to run into an Issue setting the 5
digit as an Alt extension on the mailboxes as we are going to overlap on
multiple sites.

What we are trying to do is find a way to tell the call manager to send the
full +1XXXXXXXXXX as the Last Redirected Number when either the 11 digit
full, 10 digit or 5 digit number is dialed. We have tried a *Called Number
Transformation* to no result and have messed with the device pool
setting *“Redirected
transformation CSS”* on a test DP to no effect either.

Does anyone have any suggestions

CUCM version: 12.5.1.14900-63
Unity Version: 12.5.1.14900-45

Our Unity mailboxes are built with +1XXXXXXXXXX as their D

Thanks,

Austin John Williams

Email: austinwilly@gmail.com
Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
Never tried this but can you create voicemail profile with \+1502596XXXXX as the voicemail box mask? If that works you’d have to create one for each site and/or DID/e164 range and assign that to the respective directory numbers.

Sent from an iPhone mobile device with very tiny touchscreen input keys. Please excude my typtos.

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
No unity won't take the \ in \+1. we built them with +1 and strip the \ on
the way over to unity. If you dial the full E164 number of each DN it
locates the box perfectly and works correctly. Our issue is when you use
the 5 or 10 digit alternates created on the line. According to Cisco even
though you build the E164 Alt and Ent Alt directly on the DN in Call
Manager, Call Manager considers them as unique seperate numbers. So when
you dial 5 digits that's what gets passed to unity even though it's built
as an E164 Ent Alt on a DN that is a full \+1 DN.

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
My bad, the voicemail box mask field on the voicemail profile in CUCM ctually won’t allow a \ so it would just be entered on the profile as +150259XXXXX.

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
I mis-read your email, I thought you meant to create a VM box. That does
work but ya i'm going to have to build one for each site, and some sites
are going to have multiple ranges but this will work. I'd still love to see
if there is an overall setting that can fix this but this is a great
workaround.

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
Yeah it definitely doesn’t scale well, adds administrative overhead, and won’t work for direct transfers to voicemail (e.g. user dials * then the 5-digit extension to transfer a caller directly to VM) as you’d need a CTI route point in each offices local partition assigned to its that specific voicemail profile for that, but those are the complications with overlapping dialplans and shared voicemail. Sooo many potential complications…. Good luck.

Hopefully someone else has a cleaner suggestion.

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
Hy

what is in the SIP Message towards the Unity. Is there the Fully DN in the Message, so u should be able to change the forwarding Information to thst value on the SIP Trunk to Unity with a LUA Script

Re: E164 Alt Ext and Cisco Unity [ In reply to ]
Mostly because we are using multiple ranges with different NPAs NXXs and
our original design called for 3 VoiceMail Profiles, One for Call Handlers,
One for Users With Mailbox and One for No VM at all.

2 systems ago on call manager 9 we used 5 digit DNs with VM boxes built
with 5 digit DNs to match.

1 system ago I brought them to 10 digit DIDs and set up a series of Number
expansions to allow intra-site 5 digit dialing and built the VM boxes with
10 digit dids to match.

This iteration I brought them to Full +E164 and took advantage of the
Alternate Extension settings on each line to get 10 and 5 digit dialing
working.

What I didn't realize was how much trouble I was going to have with unity
this time around. With the number expansions unity was always receiving the
same number regardless of if i dialed 5 or 10 digits. On my new build unity
is getting 11, 10 and 5 digits and without setting alternate extensions on
the unity side has no idea what to do with them. Additionally due to our
size I cant set the 5 digit alternate extension on unity because we are
going to run into overlap with multiple sites. Call manager addresses this
with CSS and Partitions, Unity has the same feature but what I can't figure
out is how to get unity to understand this is a 5 digit for site A not a 5
digit for site C when all it gets from call manager is 5 digits.

So what I've decided to do is Bills and Andrew's suggestions of using a
Voicemail Profile Mask. I'm going to have to build one for each site and a
few sites are going to have multiple depending on their NPA and NXX but
it's the cleanest way to do this I've found so far and with Bulk admin I
can get it done quickly.

Florian I am going to look into your suggestion more but I've never used
one yet so it's going to be an interesting read.

Thanks,

Austin John Williams

Email: austinwilly@gmail.com

Phone: 7632861445

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 8:33 AM Andrew, Derek <derek.andrew@usask.ca> wrote:

> While you posted a very interesting question, I wanted to ask why you
> didn't use
> Advanced Features>Voicemail>Voice Mail Profile Configuration
> to set a mask when sending the call to Unity.

> Copyright 2021 Derek Andrew (excluding quotations)
>
> +1 306 966 4808
> Communication and Network Services
> IT Security Risk and Compliance
> Information Communication and Technology Services
> University of Saskatchewan
> 120 Peterson Building
> 54 Innovation Boulevard
> Saskatoon,Saskatchewan,Canada. S7N 4L5
>
> The definition of hell is a place where nothing connects with nothing. -
> T.S.Eliot in a commentary on Dante’s Inferno