Mailing List Archive

Centralized Cisco Cube Deployment
I want to know if a centralized cisco cube deployment would allows us to do
away with our existing voice gateways.

I am trying to reduce costs by removing 6 cisco voice gateways and isdn pri
circuits located at 6 branch offices. I want to replace these individual
gateways with two cisco cubes/vcubes located at our hub location connected
to an ITSP via a Sip Trunk. Each branch is connected to an MPLS wan.
Re: Centralized Cisco Cube Deployment [ In reply to ]
Yes it would.

Brings up other concerns….
911 for example…. Local pots line… multiple WAN circuits…. To resolve that….
Can the site survive without PSTN if its single hosted?
what happens if you loose the DC Wan connect? What do your sites do…. Do you have resources to handle those calls during the outage. (Vmail,, or a ton of ports in IVR)
Do you have enough bandwidth from the DC to the branches?
What codec will you support? G729/G711. (Remember not customers support G729, and not all carriers will “normalize” their network).
Example ATT will route calls to other att customers without leaving their cloud, if they can’t do G729 and that is how you start the call, it will fail. (ATT is changing this FYI)
QOS policy?
Business support.. IE in we can save money, but a failure might mean loss of calls…. Are they ok with this.
DSP resources. Do you have enough to support Conferencing…… etc
Firewalls, Does your firewall team block access branch to branch… do you need to setup relays?

VPN….. Jabber access… Concerns with voice parts across the branches..

Hope that helps. It is very much do-able, and can save lots of money. Just need to think it through and not rush…. Its really no different then say a branch being the data center for all the other sites…

Re: Centralized Cisco Cube Deployment [ In reply to ]
Well I am going to do a small pocket so I can test. Leave the voice
gateways Pri circuits in place as backup until I am sure we have a viable
solution

Re: Centralized Cisco Cube Deployment [ In reply to ]
Centralized saves money and for me time.I don't do SRST at remote sites because if the network is down. most staff can't work or answer questions. and for 911 when the network is down, most people have cell phones.All the conferencing and resources are at the headend so that saves BW.and if you need more ports, you go into the vendor's portal and increase as needed.For 911, I use CER and use the network its on to get the correct ERLIN and save money by not having every number setup as 911. and if a phone is moved to another loacation, don't have to worry about updating 911.

Re: Centralized Cisco Cube Deployment [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your feedback. Is the Vcube a viable option? What trade offs
exist when using a vcube