Mailing List Archive

Unity SMTP Domain Change
We are migrating to a new Unity Connection cluster, from an existing Unity Connection cluster. My question is around changing the SMTP Domain on the new UCxN to match the existing UCxN cluster. The reason behind this is that we have some automation for other external services written around the "username@unityA.domain.local" and we have an Exchange email address policy to build an smtp alias for "username@unityA.domain.local" to mask the Unity smtp domain.

Once we migrate users to the new UCxN they will now be "username@unityB.domain.local". My thought was I could keep from making changes to the external services and avoid creating another Exchange email alias by changing the SMTP domain on the new UCxN cluster to UnityA.domain.local.

Thoughts on this or am I creating more work than just keeping the SMTP domain as FQDN of the publisher and updating my external services referencing the old domain?

Current UCxN v 11.5
New UCxN v 12.5

Thanks.
Re: Unity SMTP Domain Change [ In reply to ]
Just my two cents on this: if "unitya" is the hostname name of the 11.5
system, and "unityb" is the hostname of the 12.5 system, I would not use
"unitya" on 12.5. That's just a "typo" waiting to be corrected by someone,
which then would break things.

So, while you can change the domain to be anything you want on the 12.5
system, to include "unitya", I would shy away from it, from a cleanliness
of data/configuration standpoint.

That's just me. But, if you have no other choice, because the alternative
is too expensive or complicated, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

For future reference, as long as you're not networked to another CUC
system, just change the 12.5 to something even more generic (e.g.,
"voicemail.domain.local") which might help with this kind of thing in the
future (e.g., v14).