Mailing List Archive

Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording?
Hey folks. What are people using now that MediaSense is EOL? It was fine for what it was. It just recorded anything you threw into it. it weaseled it's way into some weird apps we have, and now I'm kinda stuck. We have an iphone app that was developed to work in areas with poor data connectivity. It creates a conference call to a PSTN number that routes into our system and is a route pattern attached to a SIP trunk directly to MediaSense.

From there, we use APIs to pull the file down and save it using meta data from the initial call.

We aren't using ANY of the recording profiles or advanced features of mediasense. Our new recording system is NICE Engage and they don't offer any way to record via route patterns.

Are there any open source, or really ANYTHING else out there that can do this simple procedure? The most basic of requirements are 1) non proprietary audio format 2) retrievable with an API or script. My cisco account team can only recommend Webex for recording which doesn't look to allow recording with a route pattern. Our VAR sells NICE which requires an extra application to kick of a recording like this.

What are you guys using? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. just to be clear, MeidaSense is not our quality assurance platform. We use NICE Engage for that and it's fine for now... just looking for something to fill the gap left by a disappearing MediaSense and our route pattern recording method.
Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
Check out Orecx. They are cheap… can do basic recording… has lots of plug in options…. Api’s etc. I can dail the direct recording number I have setup with BIB and it will start recording. Should work for you application as it should do conferencing…..

Can you send me more info about this app. The conference bridge for recording would be useful, where BIB doesn’t exist on an end point…

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
I sure was sad when they EOL'ed Media Sense. I really wanted to do video call handlers and video voicemail and greetings.

Take a look at https://www.mns.vc/ they might have what you're looking for.

Lelio

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
Unity Connection Live Record may be an option you could try and have it
conference in that number.

I think MediaSense is still around for video call handlers/video
voicemail/video on hold if I remember correctly. I think they only killed
it for recording calls.

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
Unity live record, that's one I haven't thought of yet. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure, mediasense is totally dead. We just upgraded to CUCM 12.5 SU3 in October. MediaSense 11.5 su2 said it was compatible with CUCM 12.x, but in this case, it only meant 12.x THRU 12.5 SU2. The BU's solution was to downgrade to SU2. We kind of pushed them and they came back with a fix. Apparently between CUCM 12.5 SU2 and 12.5 SU3, CUCM forced HTTPs for AXL connections. to fix it, TAC had to root into my nodes and make a change to the haproxy.conf file to stop forcing HTTPS.

This whole mess took me right up to the last day of support and I think everyone at cisco hated me, but they were clear there would be no more support for this monster. meh

Thanks,
Nick

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021, at 2:24 PM, Brian Meade wrote:
> Unity Connection Live Record may be an option you could try and have it conference in that number.
>
> I think MediaSense is still around for video call handlers/video voicemail/video on hold if I remember correctly. I think they only killed it for recording calls.
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:56 PM Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>> I sure was sad when they EOL’ed Media Sense. I really wanted to do video call handlers and video voicemail and greetings. ____

>> __ __

>> Take a look at https://www.mns.vc/ they might have what you’re looking for.____

>> __ __

>> Lelio____

>> __ __

>> __ __

Nick
Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
It’s too bad that CUCM doesn’t have a LiveRecord softkey macro that does the conferencing and dialing of the live record extension.

To ask people to press conference and then dial live record and the conference again, is just way to much to ask. I think.

Has Live Record support from CUCM side improved at all?

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
One of the flavors of a wrapped Asterisk product I played with some years ago included this functionality, where you could key *1 or something while on a call, and it would begin a recording. It emailed you the wav after you were finished.

I don’t know if that can be accomplished in just the base Asterisk or not, and maintaining such a system isn’t as nice as something with a support contract, but a trunked in Asterisk box can provide some fun and utility.

Adam

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
There is a record softkey that does what you’re asking Leilo. The problem with Unity Live record is the CUCM BIB calls the number twice, one for TX and one for RX, and you get two-one sided voicemails in the inbox. If that gets fixed, it’s an amazing option.

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
My guess is it won’t get fixed as it would help us all out! LOL.

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
I wonder if a PLAR on a DN that is listed as an alternate extension would help.

So,

Tap PLAR
Then merge calls

You could even move the merge Soft key earlier?

Sent from my iPhone

?

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
That PLAR idea is fun :)

2 audio files at once is not ideal...

I haven't tested this yet, but this is where I'm going. Looking at possibly turning this into a container to post audio files to and get back a muxed Left / Right "stereo" conversation.
https://securitronlinux.com/debian-testing/merge-left-and-right-audio-tracks-into-a-stereo-file-with-sox-on-linux/

Now I just need to figure out how long a recorded call can be... I guess I hadn't thought of that part as either a requirement or request...

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021, at 9:52 PM, Lelio Fulgenzi wrote:

> I wonder if a PLAR on a DN that is listed as an alternate extension would help.
>
> So,
>
> Tap PLAR
> Then merge calls
>
> You could even move the merge Soft key earlier?
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 11, 2021, at 9:53 PM, Kent Roberts <kent@fredf.org> wrote:
>>
>> ?
>>

>> *CAUTION:* This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca
>>

>> My guess is it won’t get fixed as it would help us all out! LOL.
>>

>>> On Jan 11, 2021, at 2:18 PM, NateCCIE <nateccie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a record softkey that does what you’re asking Leilo. The problem with Unity Live record is the CUCM BIB calls the number twice, one for TX and one for RX, and you get two-one sided voicemails in the inbox. If that gets fixed, it’s an amazing option.

Nick
Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
I believe the SOX utility has a windows and MAC-OS version as well. You
can just run it from the CLI
http://sox.sourceforge.net/
I use a text to speech program called Balabolka that utilizes it on Windows
to convert sound files to G711.
I use this app for UCCX prompts during testing. Keeps my voice off the
customers server. :)
http://balabolka.site/balabolka.htm

Re: Alternatives for MediaSense simple recording? [ In reply to ]
I don't think Unity Live Record uses the BIB at all if I remember
correctly. I think it just uses whatever CFB resources you have in your
MRGL. I've never had an issue with 2 one-sided voicemails when I've used
it.

I've never tried the Record softkey though in CUCM. How do you configure
the Live Record extension?

I think CME has a Live Record softkey and lets you set a Live Record
extension to point to CUE.

It sucks we can't have custom softkeys on CUCM but you can use a SURL
button to do some automation. I think there's some companies out there
that have made stuff with the IP Phone Services SDK to automate some stuff
with a SURL button such as conferencing in another party. Maybe 2Ring and
Imagicle?