Mailing List Archive

Re: [External] Re: List still active?
Wow. I struggle enough keeping up with the real-time chats from my
colleagues and customers. I definitely can't handle a chat for every list
I'm subscribed to. Not sure how those people do it.

Merry VoIPmas!

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

Re: [External] Re: List still active? [ In reply to ]
Hunter,

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I struggle with it too. If I had it my way,
everything would just be on the Cisco forums, being indexed by Google.
Think of people trying to come up in their career and how distributed the
knowledge is. Cisco Docs, Cisco Forums, Mailing Lists, Training Sites
(pluralsight, cbt nuggets, etc.), Reddit (and other random sites about
voip), Webex Teams spaces, Slack, Discord, Twitter, YouTube, etc. And yes,
I have a connection to Cisco collaboration on every one of those
platforms. I just prioritize some over others, and that might mean that I
only check Twitter like every 2 weeks or something like that.

Maybe this distributed nature of information, knowledge, and communication
is necessary? Or at the very least, unavoidable?

Re: [External] Re: List still active? [ In reply to ]
A. I was actually under the impression that this list was indexed by search
engines

B. I legit miss you guys, not being able to see you all at networkers was a
total bummer.

Hope you’re all staying safe.

-Peter
peter at slow dot net

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:02 Anthony Holloway <

Re: [External] Re: List still active? [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter!

This list is quasi-indexed by Google, but only because Google is indexing
other websites (mailing list archives) which are archiving the messages.
My favorite way to search the list is https://cisco-voip.markmail.org/

However, I was painting a picture of a single source of knowledge
sharing, one that just happens to also be indexed by Google. A place where
most new people will likely land first. A place where reputation building
(via voting, ranking and awards) can happen. Oh, and by the way, Cisco is
willing to reward you with real cash value via the VIP program; something I
have achieved 5 times now.

I don't keep a running total, but if I had to estimate it, I've been
awarded approximately $20,000 of value (e.g., cisco live passes) for my
contributions on the forums over the years.

Now, don't let me fool you into thinking I'm against all
other communication channels. I know that there's value in a
distributed system, so I do use quite a few. Some of you may even know me
as ez4me2c3d <https://www.reddit.com/user/ez4me2c3d> on reddit. Some of
you see me in Teams spaces chatting it up there. Not too mention my
participation on this list over the years.

But that doesn't mean I cannot have a favorite amongst the bunch. ;)

Re: [External] Re: List still active? [ In reply to ]
As a person who still processes 400+emails per day for more than a few years now (gulp) I hear you about the abundance of information and communication channels. I am still working on integrating WxT in my information processing model. I am still decommissioning my SDLRouterThread,SDLTimerThread, and HighPriorty and VeryLowPriority queues.

And I personally think the abundance of information will always the case. There will always be more happening and communicated than I can consume.

So my task is to choose where I invest my attention. I still read this list. I still chime in. I still followup. I still think this important.

I enjoy this as a metaphor for stream processing and see that only increasing with streaming data, cloud, devops, always on. Reference, “no man ever steps in the same river twice”, CI/CD, Webex, Intersight, or Borg.

I appreciate the question "if this community is still active". I appreciate someone is watching that angle, willing to ask the question, and that the community is willing to take it up. Thank you. I’m glad to see the cooperation of this list still in place. It’s almost like ‘communication’ is important here.

We might choose to move to communities, or forums, or WxT, or something else. Whatever tool we might use I hope the sharing, cooperation, and communication are still the underpinning.

-Wes