Mailing List Archive

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control
Im pretty sure this just completely changed the way we provide remote
help in the COVID era. Since I can just add a customer's phone to my
controlled devices, help them fix/show me some problem remotely, and
then remove it.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control [ In reply to ]
And you would never upload a rick roll audio clip to your CUCM as a
mutlitcast audio source, and then abuse the join rtp stream function on
your co-workers phones either. No...no you wouldn't. And neither have I.
;)

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control [ In reply to ]
Have had way too much fun with that in the past with various media files, the Play function, and yeah the RTP. VLC can be a source but so can a cheapo 7941. We used them for audio for some holiday parties years ago, just stuck some phones under the tables to boost the ones already in the room and viola.

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control [ In reply to ]
Yeah, neat idea. Speaking of unconventional ideas with joining RTP
streams, when I worked at a larger company which held all employee
conference calls, I hooked into the CURRI API for the toll free number for
the audio bridge, and caused the call to be rejected but at the same time,
I joined the calling phone to the RTP stream, because the production was
also streaming the audio over the network enterprise wide. Saved on
trunks, and conferencing costs.

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control [ In reply to ]
That’s pretty neat.

Back before COVID when we had more people in those terrible open office spaces I wanted to set up a couple of RTP streams to “dial” into white noise, or ocean sounds or some such thing for a bit more privacy. Rather than having SURL buttons to do it that would be a neat way to go about it.

Adam

Re: [External] Re: Remote Phone Control [ In reply to ]
Adam, if you're interested in a sweeping method (i.e., running a script on
multiple phones), I can help you with a python program do so. Just let me
know.