Mailing List Archive

Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier
Greetings all, this might be simple fix, I just haven’t dealt with this in a while.

We have a unity AA that, when external callers call, select menu options, etc. Unity will send the call back to. CtiRp, which then CFA to an external number. You hear the Unity transfer message, 1 second of MoH, then 10 seconds of nothing, then the call drops.

Internal calls to the CFA ctirp works

Internal calls to the unity ctirp then back to the CFA ctirp works.

I tried having unity call the pstn number directly with same results

I think the issue is with the calling number is why the carrier is sending the 603, but it is next to impossible to get them to tell us that.

Call flow:
Pstn>sipt>cucm >unity>cucm>ctirp-CFA-pstn

Where would I change the calling number being CFA’ed from Unity to the PSTN?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

/FW

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Try adding “midcall-signaling passthru media-change” under voice service voip -> sip.

Thanks,

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Thank you.
Currently that setting under sip is set to:
midcall-signaling preserve-codec

If that gets changed what do you think the impact would be?

This customer has had many hands on their environment and is a bit of a mess, so I feel that if I change one thing, 10 other things will break.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Codec preservation tells CUBE to try not to renegotiate the codec in the middle of a call. Not sure of your setup, but most major carriers won’t typically do this anyway. I can’t really tell you what would happen in your environment by changing that, other than it would allow CUBE to participate in codec renegotiations mid call.

“media-change” helps reduce reINVITES from reaching the carrier unless there is a reason for it to (like an actual media change). Sometimes call forwards that involve Unity Connection will generate reINVITES with a null (0.0.0.0) media address (no media change). If that reINVITE reaches the carrier, the carrier may “pay attention” to it and try to renegotiate the media to 0.0.0.0 which it can’t... so the call drops.

Some carriers will ignore these reINVITES (they are supposed to) and there is no issue, other carriers (AT&T is particularly offensive with this in my experience) do not, and quirks like this creep up.

You can read up on the command here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube_proto/configuration/15-mt/cube-proto-15-mt-book/voi-cube-midcall-reinvite.html#GUID-F5641A05-14F7-4396-B04B-5F1D4F527457

Thanks,

Ryan

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
If your assessment is correct about the calling number, the carrier will
see the original or outside caller's phone number in the From field and
reject your call. I see this being solved most of the time with a SIP
Profile on the outgoing dial-peer, which adds either a Diversion header or
a P-Asserted-Identity header.

E.g.,
https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/configure-and-troubleshoot-call-forward-to-the-pstn-using-sip/ta-p/3118287

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:45 AM fred@browardcommunications.com <

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Thank you.
So, it looks like I have 3 options:
- Set the midcall signaling, which I am trying tonight

- setting the sip trunk on calling party selection to “last redirect number”
And reset

- then if all else fails I will try the sip profile.

Do you have an example sip profile / dial-peer config handy?

Thank you much!

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Midcall signaling wont help the calling number issue. The link I posted has
examples.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:29 PM fred@browardcommunications.com <

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Hello, thanks again for the help, a combination of Diversion and PAI is finally what let the call go through with ATT, so that is working now.
Issue now is, there is a very long delay between the time the caller selects the option, and the call actually gets routed, any thoughts on what would cause this delay?
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Unity xfer Getting 603 from carrier [ In reply to ]
Most of the time it' the verbose nature of the systems to perform a
handoff. I.e., They are chatty!

There are two methods to reduce the chatter that I know of:

1) On the CUBE the command mid-call signlaing passthru media-change
(spellcheck?)
2) On the CUCM a service param called Duplex Streaming Enabled set to True

Maybe others know of more.

Anyway, if neither of these commands reduce the delay, you would need to
look at a ladder diagram of the end-to-end (which is why sip end-to-end is
nice) signaling to see where the delay comes from.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 8:16 AM fred@browardcommunications.com <