Mailing List Archive

Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another
Hi All,

I found this old post from Cisco community.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/jabber-softphone-via-mra-does-not-fall-over-to-secondary-cucm/td-p/2807099

Is this still true for Jabber 12.8, MRA 12.5 and CUCM 12.5?

In the MRA 12.6 deployment guide it says
Cisco *Jabber* clients support IM and Presence Service failover over MRA.
However, they *don't support* any other type of MRA-related redundancy or
*failover*—*including SIP*, voicemail, and User Data Services (UDS).
Clients use a single UDS server only.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X12-6/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide_chapter_01.html

In the Jabber 12.8 planning guide, it says High Availability(failover) of
audio and video service is not supported
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_8/cjab_b_planning-guide-cisco-jabber-128/cjab_b_planning-guide-cisco-jabber-128_chapter_010.html

If anyone has a MRA lab, can you please help to test it buy just disconnect
the first cucm node in the jabber's ccm group and verify whether jabber can
register to the second node in the ccm group?

This is a surprise to me that this fundamental feature is still not
supported after many years.

Best Regards
Guan
Re: Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another [ In reply to ]
" This is a surprise to me that this fundamental feature is still not
supported after many years."

Are you new to working with Cisco solutions?

Re: Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another [ In reply to ]
Do you have access to this document? It's limited to who can view it.

https://salesconnect.cisco.com/#/content-detail/8da1f8a8-1f29-4e56-bc09-eb43175a3bba

Re: Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another [ In reply to ]
What document is that?

Title?

Don’t share the confidential footer!

;)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2020, at 9:32 PM, Anthony Holloway <avholloway+cisco-voip@gmail.com> wrote:

?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Guelph. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, forward suspicious emails to IThelp@uoguelph.ca

Re: Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another [ In reply to ]
They occasionally leak things through there but they’ve been pretty good about that lately.

I wanted to test and confirm the MRA failover between UCM nodes but we are rebuilding a part of our lab and MRA isn’t running right now.

Maybe later today.

I know for a fact that if you shut down the primary CM in the CMGroup the Jabber clients are assigned to, they won’t register. My guess is that this is not so much a Jabber limitation but one with the way the registration proxy works and how it configures itself for the client based on data it receives. The Expressway E doesn’t know about the state of the zones on the C back towards the UCM cluster.

But, like we’ve all figured out from trial and many, many errors, these things don’t always work in a way that makes sense, and then they’ve been developed into a hole that is hard to get out of.

That being said with Jabber’s development pretty much done, are they using JabberWerx with Webex Teams or are they spending more time on that code? The latter implies that this is why we don’t have multiline there yet, but who knows.

Re: Jabber via MRA failover from one CUCM node to another [ In reply to ]
I finally had a chance to play with this again just to see what’s up.

In the past for sure if the primary CM in the CMGroup was offline phone services didn’t work, and I don’t know if that’s from UDS or not. Tested with UCM 12.5SU2, Expressway X12.6.1, Jabber 12.9, I had no issues with sign in and out. When I turned off the CM service on the node that the Jabber client was registered to, it re-registered promptly to the other. If I did that in the middle of a call, the call stayed up with “Disconnected” in the client, but, I didn’t leave it to see if it had timer or interaction issues.

So, I guess this works now.

I also did a firewall cutover this morning which changed the gateway MAC for the Expressway C appliances. This caused fail2ban on the Expressway E side of things to decide to block the Cs for SSH Tunnel Auth Violations for some reason. Once I figured that out I went about trying to unblock, but, things recovered after about 15 minutes. So, in that case there was no failover. The Jabber clients all said my session expired. Clicking sign in brought it back open showing old presence status (probably from the E) but nothing worked. It took about 30 minutes then it recovered itself.

Hope this helps someone

Adam