Mailing List Archive

Wildcard certificates
Hi voipers,

I'm trying to update the wildcard on our CUCM/IMP servers, and am
hitting a problem. We have a digicert wildcard, which I used
successfully before, but now when generating the certificate the UI
complains that *.ccgs.wa.edu.au isn't a valid certificate name or SAN. I
hacked the javascript to ignore this warning, and generated a CSR with
*.ccgs.wa.edu.au in the SAN:

$ openssl req -in tomcat\(8\).csr -text|grep DNS
DNS:callmanager1.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:*.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:speeddial.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:callmanager2.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:callmanager.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:presence.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au

But when I try to upload the certificate to CUCM, it complains "CSR SAN
and Certificate SAN does not match". But the SANs on the certificate are
the same (albeit in a different order):

$ openssl x509 -in ../ssl/digicert/cucm-star_ccgs_wa_edu_au.crt -text
|grep DNS
DNS:*.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:callmanager1.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:callmanager2.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:speedidal.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au,
DNS:callmanager.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au, DNS:presence.voip.ccgs.wa.edu.au

I found
https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-communications/wildcard-certificate-on-call-manager-10-5/td-p/2757989
from 2016 which says they got it working then, and I also got it working
in 2018 when the cert was last renewed, with *.ccgs.wa.edu.au as the
common name and a SAN. But I can't get it working now. Anyone got any
thoughts? Running CUCM 10.5.2.15900-8

James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer
Christ Church Grammar School
Claremont, Western Australia
Ph. (08) 9442 1757
Mob. 0424 160 877
Re: Wildcard certificates [ In reply to ]
It has never been supported, so, if you run into any issues and TAC sees
it, they may tell you to remove it, just FYI.

Given that, with Digicert, can you duplicate a wildcard cert, like you can
a Multi-San?

Re: Wildcard certificates [ In reply to ]
I've got some thoughts, though, I've never done this before, so it's just
guessing.

You don't need *.domain.com in your SAN.

Just generate your CSR on CUCM as if you were not using wildcard
certificates. Then when you dupe your wildcard on digitcert's site,
manually add the exact same SANs in your CSR.

The resulting identity certificate will not have a CN which matches your
CSR, but the SANs will match, and according to the thread you linked:

*"The CN doesn't match but CUCM doesn't seem to care as long as the SAN
fields line up."*

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:58 PM James Andrewartha <

Re: Wildcard certificates [ In reply to ]
It helps if I spell speeddial instead of speedidal ????

Re: Wildcard certificates [ In reply to ]
Yeah. In my experience, the cert can have as many extra sans as you want, but all of the sans the cucm csr has have to be there, and spelled correctly.

Sent from my iPhone