Mailing List Archive

Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5
Here's a fun one. We have taken over support of these ancient servers hosted on Esxi 4.1 on UCS-C200-M2s!

Exact Versions are:
8.5 SU2 for CUCM/UCXN
8.5 FCS for UCCX

Each is a pair of servers.

Have new M5s and flex licensing... need to get to 12.5.. 8.5 docs are dead for CUCM/UCXN and 8 and 9 docs are dead for UCCX. ISOs I may need are not available publicly.

Also fun wrinkle the new host are across the WAN and for many logistical reasons are staying there. The migration to the new hosts will have to be via DRS or maybe PCD somehow? Not sure if the bandwidth available to get data across will be fast enough to finish in the allotted time period. My plan was a change freeze window and copy/restore the backups and then activate the new servers and move the subnet to the new location.

As best I can tell I need to get UCCX to SU4 of 8.5.1 then I can go to 10.6 SU3 and then to 12x (with the fun of two CAD upgrades and then a migration to Finesse!)

For CUCM/UCXN I need to go to 8.6 anything and then I can go to 11.5 and then to 12x

I think my plan is to do the upgrades to the interim versions on the old hosts then migrate to the new and then finish the upgrades. The old hosts will need ESXi upgrades to an interim version.

Anyone have thoughts on what they would do here? This is partially depending on TAC being able to provide me the ISOs I will need, but I presume there is an archive.

In theory some sort of PCD migration is also an option, but I've never done one and not sure how it could handle the subnet situation that will have to exist.

Welcome to my fun life!

Matthew Loraditch
Sr. Network Engineer
p: 443.541.1518
w: www.heliontechnologies.com | e: MLoraditch@heliontechnologies.com
Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Might be less work to just start over…..

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Or turn it into the first cisco-voip community project, and we all jump in
and help? I call translation patterns!

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Ha, maybe for a larger amount of servers, but the amount of time to read, interpret/document, have meetings with the customer to go over, and finally program it all again, would be astronomically longer. There are I think 8 different sites/flows in the system. That’s all active work. Most of the upgrade/migration time is just waiting for things.

Although I did just remember I can COBRAS Unity Connection… been a hot minute since I did that but that just shaved some of my time off.

Matthew Loraditch
Sr. Network Engineer

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Free Beer to all participants at the next in person Cisco Live!

Matthew Loraditch
Sr. Network Engineer

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Keep in mind that PCD network migrations, while awesome for CUCM, do not
work for other products.

Typically with a project like this, you'll likely have a different approach
for each app, and not a one size fits all solution.

With the app upgrades, you will also have to change OVA sizes (or want to
in some cases), and at that point, it might be better to install fresh, and
use tools like COBRAS, BAT, AXL, ADMIN API, stare & compare, etc. to get
data exported/imported from old to new.

Or like Kent said, tell yourself it's a toshiba system, and treat it like a
greenfield.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:26 AM Matthew Loraditch <

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
I was thinking of the community configuration approach Anthony suggested and was thinking of the debates we’d have if we did that:

  1. Do you use “_PT”, “PT_”, or just the site name? Same for “CSS”, “LOC”, and the ever-debated “RGN” or “REG”?.
  2. FQDN or IP addresses?
  3. Do all the media resources go into a single MRG or not?
  4. Do we click “Run on all Nodes” for route lists and trunks or not?
  5. MGCP, SIP, or H323 (if using PRIs)?
  6. Can UCCX have upper-case hostnames or not?

The debates would take us so long, version 14.0 would be out, and then we’d have to debate about whether a “.0” versoin is stable or not or should we wait for “.5”? Still, could be fun!

w: http://www.heliontechnologies.com/"]www.heliontechnologies.com

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Another thing, CUCM 12.5 specific, Cisco wants all of us to run through the
Collaboration Sizing Tool every time we upgrade to 12.5 now.

See slide 13
https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/BRKUCC-2011.pdf

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Don’t forget:

7: @ with route filters or not. ????

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Replying off-list…

Yes, I took down our telephone system once by inserting a blank translation in the none partition.

What did I know? I was young and naïve. ????

Of course, with CCM v2 or v3, anything was possible. ????

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Easy

1. Clearly it's "-pt"
2. FQDN or die
3. Design specific, but generally no, just so you can predict which
resource will be used easier
4. Obviously yes, it's superior in 90% of cases unless you're doing geo-sme
5. SIP or die
6. Documented as lower case. End. of. story.

"Hostname must be in lower case and the character limit is 24 characters."
Source:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_12_5/install/guide/uccx_b_125install-and-upgrade-guide/uccx_b_125install-and-upgrade-guide_chapter_00.html#reference_6AA69DFAE265C92FB0D4AAC7D2FDCA35

Re: [External] Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
I swear, really, that I'm not trying to stir anything up here.

But is there any reason to turn up a new cluster with IPs?? You have to use
FQDNs for at least some stuff (Jabber and web portal related stuff in
particular)...

I promise I'm not trying to start something.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
lol, not exactly off list there buddy. ;)

Re: [External] Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
The argument used to be that using an FQDN made you dependent on DNS. Then, someone realized that all the other stuff customers care about relies on DNS, so maybe that was OK. And certificates of course.

FQDN all the way!

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
So, PLAR all around? Pick up the phone, get an operator, and ask the operator to connect you to your party. That sounds great.

lol, not exactly off list there buddy. ;)

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:32 PM Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

Replying off-list…

Yes, I took down our telephone system once by inserting a blank translation in the none partition.

What did I know? I was young and naïve. &#128521;

Of course, with CCM v2 or v3, anything was possible. &#128521;

I call blank translation patterns. &#128521;

http://www.heliontechnologies.com/"]<image989392.png>

https://facebook.com/heliontech"]<image983202.png>

https://twitter.com/heliontech"]<image808092.png>

https://www.linkedin.com/company/helion-technologies"]<image029668.png>

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Interesting thing is this preso (which is not official for TAC Purposes) says I can go from 8.6 to 12.5 directly in OS admin, but docs say use PCD. Not going to try it, but nevertheless curious.

Matthew Loraditch
Sr. Network Engineer

Re: [External] Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Correct. Today, it's basically the standard to involve DNS in your
deployment. However, there's always exceptions to the rule.

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Backup…. Do the update… export the data. Reinstall, and import….?

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
[cid:FF98E1F3-6069-42CE-A7A9-B854BF815B88]

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Which slide says you can go direct with osadmin?

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:41 PM Matthew Loraditch <

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Jabber used to have a feature on iPhone where it would auto-dial a number when Jabber was brought to foreground and phone placed against ear.

We sent it to our voice activated dialer. Worked like a charm. Miss that feature.

Sent from my iPhone

?

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Kent: Backup…. Do the update… export the data. Reinstall, and import….?
Also Kent:

[image: image.png]

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Slide 92

Matthew Loraditch
Sr. Network Engineer

Re: Migration from CUCM/UCXN/UCCX 8.5 to 12.5 [ In reply to ]
Sure I can fire this up

1. part_ , like part_local, part_ld, part_ld_privacy , etc.
2. FQDN, but, make sure your DNS/NTP/etc works with resiliency.
3. Depends on if you’re distributed, using hardware conf, transcoder cause you have some people on some sort of twizzler based connection using g729, etc
4. Yes, unless you have something on the other side that can’t handle these requests coming from the whole group, or again a distributed system.
5. SIP. MGCP is nice in a set it and forget it way, but if you want to use the gateway to do anything else like custom intercepts, redirection, hairpinning, it won’t help you. There are some features that don’t work when you go to SIP but whatever.
6. Why would you give anything an upper case hostname