no ipv4 172.31.125.43 preference 2
no ipv4 172.31.120.43
description Verizon SIP
!

We had the 172.31.20.43 go down (no response to invites) and we did NOT
failover to the second (.125.43)...

What is needed to force a failover to the next configured SBC?

Jonathan
Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
First off, I'm wondering why it says "no ipv4" in front of your two
addresses. That might be your problem right there.

Secondly, I'd recommend putting an explicit preference on your entries,
it's just better for everyone, and you don't get a credit back from Cisco
for saving on a few ascii characters by implicitly using the default.
Plus, if the default is 0, which it is, then your next preference should be
technically 1. But then having nothing and 1 seems silly, because if pref
1 is actually pref 2, then well, might as well call them pref nothing and
pref 8. I digress.

You might not have failed over, because you might not have provided the
system with the correction conditions to failover...E.g., you didn't wait
long enough.

No seriously, by default SIP failover occurs after 30 seconds. Unless, did
you lower the retry count under sip-ua? Or did you enable SIP options? If
you enabled SIP options, have your confirmed that it's turned on correctly?

Can you share the output of the following commands:

show run | section sip-ua|sip.options-keepalive

show dial-peer voice summary

Feel free to redact what you need to, in terms of IPs or
usernames/passwords. I am only looking for the features and settings for
retries and keepalives.

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Try on the dial-peer itself:

voice-class sip options-keepalive up-interval 180 down-interval 60 retry 2

On loss of response, it will take the dial-peer out of service.

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
I pasted the wrong part of the script (to manually change it)...

Here is the actual config:

voice class server-group 1
ipv4 172.31.120.43
ipv4 172.31.125.43 preference 2
description Verizon SIP
!

Jonathan

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:22 PM Anthony Holloway <

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Oh I know what your trying to do, and I have had issues with it as well.

I have had better luck with with just using several dial-peers, and preference them, and use the voice-class sip options keepalive

Then when you look at the dial-peer status you can see them out of service, and if you have SNMP enabled, you can see the status when integrated by things like Orion…..

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Here is the config I used long time ago for CVP, and really the same for CUCM. Still prefer the dial-peer sip options for timeout

ip host _sip._tcp.cvp.ucce.local srv 1 50 5060 nedcvpb.ucce.local
ip host _sip._tcp.cvp.ucce.local srv 2 50 5060 acccvpa.ucce.local

ip host _sip._udp.cvp.ucce.local srv 1 50 5060 nedcvpb.ucce.local
ip host _sip._udp.cvp.ucce.local srv 2 50 5060 acccvpa.ucce.local

ip host acccvpa.ucce.local 10.80.19.11
ip host nedcvpb.ucce.local 10.42.14.21

dial-peer voice 222222 voip
session protocol sipv2
session target sip-server
incoming called-number 4444222T

sip-ua
retry invite 2
retry bye 2
retry cancel 2
timers expires 60000
sip-server dns:cvp.ucce.local
reason-header override

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Kent,

You were probably just missing the profile required. See here:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/telepresence-and-video/sip-options-ping-and-session-server-group-on-dial-peer/td-p/2994584

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
I think I had to make some adjustments to our timers as well to get this to work before network timeout or similar:

sip-ua
retry invite 2
timers trying 100
!

I know I also goofed this up between dial peer group and server group, one of the two will retry within the group, the other sure doesn’t.

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Tim,

Surely he wouldn't have huntstop and be using server groups.

But even if he did have both, huntstop wouldn't stop a server group, right?
Just DP hunting, right?

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
I'm curious as to how you arrived at those settings. Would you be able to
share your path to arriving at those specific settings?

I typically leave the 500ms alone but do lower the retries to so that the
total worst case delay would be ~3sec. For no other reason than that was
always the for h323 tcp timeout we all used to use.

I do also use OPTIONS though, because in my opinion, tweaking/enabling both
provides the best user experience. Though I don't typically adjust the
default OPTIONS timers and retries. Do you?

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
In this router we actually tried something different (and gave up on this implementation thus I think the dial-peer groups maybe not being effective here for redundancy, and we’d just not fixed it, it’s been a couple of years – it may have been the options ping either not working or marking the whole peer out of service despite other available targets).

I also like to complicate things as you can see below:

dial-peer voice 200 voip
description PSTN ITSP SIP Trunk
translation-profile outgoing ITSP-PSTN-Out
session protocol sipv2
session transport udp
session server-group 200
destination dpg 400
destination e164-pattern-map 2200
incoming called e164-pattern-map 200
voice-class codec 200
voice-class sip profiles 200
voice-class sip options-keepalive
dtmf-relay rtp-nte sip-kpml
no vad
dial-peer voice 400 voip
description Production UCM Dial Peer
translation-profile outgoing Windstream-PSTN-In
session protocol sipv2
session target dns:prodall.cmgroup.srv.domain
session transport tcp
destination dpg 200
destination e164-pattern-map 400
voice-class codec 400
voice-class sip options-keepalive
dtmf-relay rtp-nte sip-kpml
no vad
dial-peer voice 500 voip
description Non-Working Number 404 Code Fallthrough
service non_working_number out-bound
destination-pattern +.*T
session target loopback:rtp

voice class dpg 400
description Production UCM Dial Peer Group
dial-peer 400
dial-peer 500 preference 1
!
voice class dpg 200
description ITSP SIP Dial Peer Group
dial-peer 200
!
voice class server-group 200
ipv4 10.250.0.5
ipv4 10.250.0.6 preference 1
description ITSP Server Group
!

Re: Server-groups and failover... [ In reply to ]
Sure

Again some time ago but what we’d run into was that PSTN calls in would fail on the network side if we didn’t signal progress back within a period of time. With stock timers, it never was able to move through all of the available call processors (4) before this happened, so you’d not really had effective redundancy, nor could it fall through for handling if you wanted to do that. It was based on watching the debugging to see how the flow went when we ACL’d off various UCMs from the CUBE itself.

As you can see form other postings in the thread, I did not know enough about this at the time to adjust other timers to account for either mid-call or call teardown signaling. I’m still learning, as always.

On the outbound end to the ITSP we also had a BGP relationship setup with them to tear down routing if the physical circuit failed somewhere outbound. That allowed us two disparate CUBEs that would still be available for call routing, resources, etc even if we lost an outbound circuit – we could still reach both peers for LB/HA across the surviving one at another structure from either CUBE in the arrangement.

Adam