Mailing List Archive

Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings
Hello,

Anyone has any good experience in joining non-Webex meetings from the Cisco roomkit devices? Trying to deploy a standard for conference rooms with roomkit devices and touch 10 but need to make sure user experience is easy or similar when joining Webex meetings vs non-webex meetings such as Zoom, Blue Jeans or Microsoft meetings.
Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
I've not had any production experience, only testing.

From a cloud registered endpoint perspective, you'll likely be using the "Call" button and have to enter the video address of the meeting. You shouldn't have any issues.

What I don't like is the fact that forwarded meeting invites do not appear on the screen and/or show up with a join button.

Scenario: Your org is exclusively Webex, but your vendor sends you a Zoom invite. They can't book your room. You need to book it yourself. The easiest way is to setup your O365 to allow rooms to auto-accept forwarded invites (and include all meeting notes). However, the meeting information never shows up on the device. I have tried replicating the meeting information via copy and paste and I believe that works (now I can't remember). My beef was that even forwarded Webex invites don't work!

I'm hoping they resolve that soon.

You could also consider writing an applet/macro for the device for Zoom, etc that asks for a meeting number and tags the domain.

The other thing is, if the far end supports video endpoints, they typically support call back as well.

The other other thing is, if you download the far end's mobile app, you should be able to click on the meeting in your mobile calendar, it launch the mobile app, and that should have a "call my video device" option.

All things worth trying...

Let us know how you make out.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio@uoguelph.ca

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the insight. I will try with the cloud device to test this out and see if i can convince the powers that be. Otherwise we may be going full Zoom which I’m not adverse to, but would be very unfamiliar territories.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
The question is whether or not the Zoom devices can dial other systems.

If you're getting Zoom across the board, that's fine. But if you can't participate with other systems, then you've further pigeon hole'd yourself.

If that makes sense.

The fact that Webex/Microsoft signed a deal is even more weight for Webex devices.

But I hear what you're saying. If your zoom, hard to say buy webex. ?

---

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
Zoom do sell a connector for Cisco room systems, but I don't know how
well it works for joining third-party zoom meetings. The setup
instructions are quite involved
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003126346-Zoom-Connector-for-Cisco

I've just put in a Logitech Tap Microsoft Teams Room system and the
announced compatibility with Webex and Zoom makes me happy we went with
them. Someone noted there's been no public agreement between Webex and
Zoom, only between them and MS Teams.

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
Yea I saw the zoom connector too. My initial preference is to deploy the Webex devices since most of our employees use Webex meetings, but come up with a standard plan that allows them to join Zoom, GoToMeeting and other 3rd party meetings in a user friendly way that is similar to joining Webex meetings.

The announcement of partnership between Cisco and Microsoft is encouraging and fact there is already a connector between Zoom for Cisco is good too.

I’ll pilot it out with the Webex cloud registered roomkit and see how much I can get from that experience.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
I don't know if that whole mess is necessary to join a Zoom call. If the party who sent you the Zoom invite has the connector service for interop, you can usually call the meeting by <meetingnumber>@zoomcrc.com as SIP call. If they don't, it prompts you to sign in on an app with your account (which is paying for a connector license I guess) and then you can join the meeting that way.

In my experience with that, I've yet to come across a Zoom meeting I've been invited to where someone has the connector on their account, and we don't pay for one. In that case the Room Kit ends up being largely useless. Yes you can share in a PC but then making use of the camera is expensive.

And before anyone waves in with "Room Kit Mini", the framing on that is meant for some very limited room sizes and is not suitable to the type of space you'd be installing a proper codec to anyways.

All of these disparate services work best if you can coax the other participant(s) into playing in your house with your services.

We've unfortunately decided not to pursue the Webex systems given this, and have instead gone with external cameras and microphones that we can present to a PC as a USB device. Not for everyone and doesn't fit all cases.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
I think you've hit the nail on the head Adam.

The idea of these room systems are great... they really do making joining meetings easy (as long as you know to bring your host PIN, argh!).

But I think we are going to be relegated to providing the best fit for all, which, in the end, might be a USB enabled room. ?

Why Cisco didn't (and doesn't intend to) extend the USB-plug-webcam option for their larger units is beyond me. Could be technical, who knows. But that would surely open up the justification for these room systems.

---

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
yes it would. We struggle with this too. Really it's two problems:

- By the time we went to roll out these units, everyone already knew
and loved Zoom.
- With Zoom, you can play with it in your office before the meeting.

99% of our users probably use these things 1-2 times a year, but when
they do, it absolutely has to work. It's a big ask for them to switch
from something they already like using, to an unknown (to them)
product, one they don't have in their office or on their laptop.

--
Hunter Fuller
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Network Engineering

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
If the endpoints are cloud-registered, you can disable it asking for a host
pin.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
The RoomKit mini can act as a USB device and then they can use a laptop to
join the meeting.

The other devices right now only support calling in to other meeting
services via SIP/H.323. Zoom has Cloud Room Connector licenses you can pay
for to enable dialing in via SIP/H.323. With Microsoft Teams, they don't
allow native SIP/H.323 call-in so you have to use a 3rd party interop
service such as Pexip/Polycom. Cisco just announced that they will be
building an interop service but there's not many details around it yet.

You'll need to register the Webex devices to CUCM or Webex and that may
incur some additional costs depending upon your licensing/subscription.

For one button to push, the Webex Directory Connector will try to parse SIP
URI's and add the join button. Sometimes using a 3rd party directory
connector may be a better option if you run into any issues. Zoom has one
for Zoom meetings for Cisco endpoints. There's other companies like
Synergy Sky that have alternatives for Cisco endpoints.

When joining meetings via SIP/H.323, you most likely won't get the full
native client experience with MS/Zoom such as roster list, being able to
mute other participants, etc.

Cisco is working on a WebRTC join experience using the web engine on the
newer endpoints that will allow you to join other meeting services with a
more native experience. For the MS Teams WebRTC experience, you'll be
limited to single screen though.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
You can. But the way to do this is long and arduous. It requires users to create a template in Web interface and then use that template in outlook.

I’m hoping they include this option soon in the options/settings available in the outlook plug-in natively.

---
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio@uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio@uoguelph.ca>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

I don't know if that whole mess is necessary to join a Zoom call. If the party who sent you the Zoom invite has the connector service for interop, you can usually call the meeting by <meetingnumber>@zoomcrc.com<http://zoomcrc.com> as SIP call. If they don't, it prompts you to sign in on an app with your account (which is paying for a connector license I guess) and then you can join the meeting that way.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
This is a global change in Control Hub. You can say to not require host
pins at all from cloud-registered video endpoints. No other changes needed.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
Yea, I'm not a huge fan of the Webex Directory Connector. It could be a
lot better. Something like Synergy Sky works much better.

Re: Webex room devices with 3rd party meetings [ In reply to ]
It’s a global change that needs to be done in conjunction with the user setting something in their meeting as well.

I went through the slides and realized this and got feedback from a few places.

It’s basically a two step process.

It can be onestep if the admin changes the base template.

---