Mailing List Archive

How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911????
CER / CM 12.5

See attached PDF of for the diagram. Starting at the bottom left you see
all our Jabber stuff internally goes to CM and CER and works as needed.

Moving our way up the diagram you will see a line from the working
condition going up to remote users. corporate laptops that are connected
via the VPN. (problem number 1)

Down from that, is non corp, home users that are using jabber in the office
via there RDP connection over the VPN. (problem number 2)

then at the top is the jabber clients that have internet access coming in
via Expressways (problem number 3).

what are others doing about routing 911? we currently use desk phones in
the office, but we may be moving to jabber and ditching the desk phones.
we really need to come up with a way for 911 to work, no matter the
connectivity.

Back, back in the day, I remember that a very large aircraft company used a
third party (can't remember who they used) with IP communicator that asked
for a address and routed 911 out the local 911 call center via a SIP
trunk. This is the only way I can think to fix this problem, IF that e911
provider is still around, and IF they work with Jabber. Do you guys have
any other options?

TIA

Scott
Re: How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911???? [ In reply to ]
Right now, we tell them to not use Jabber to dial 911. Use a cell phone or a land line. I honestly do not see people raising their headsets to their head and dialing 911 from Jabber. So I don’t see there being a lot of this.

That being said, I’ve spun up a few extra DIDs and listed them as mobile devices and mask 911 calls from Jabber with these numbers. (Through my PSALI subscription).

I’m hoping to work with a company like you suggest to build out a better solution at some point.

I think the company you were referring to was a Canadian company bought out by West and had their own PSAP. It was quite the ingenious solution.

https://www.west.com/en_ca/safety-services/

There’s also RedSky.

You can further expand this request to on-campus location services. I find it interesting that there still isn’t a good way to find location using triangulation of APs or using the GPS (if available) of the device.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio@uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio@uoguelph.ca>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

Re: How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911???? [ In reply to ]
Redsky is the way to go for this. They have a softphone client add-on that
pops up to ask for address when your location changes.

Re: How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911???? [ In reply to ]
Both West and RedSky have a product for this, there may be others but I wasn’t successful in finding any capable ones if there are any. They have an app and they have an answering service that will answer and route the call if it can’t be determined what the location is.

Both of those solutions offer the ability to pull from both Cisco’s and Aruba’s systems and present location data for possible wireless location, if your system is built to that density and with the correct mapping.

We direct all emergency calls to our on site police department, regardless of the caller’s location. Users are advised that is where emergency calls go, and as it says in the application’s EULA you use it at your own risk in an emergency. If you’re offsite or roaming with it, then you should probably not use it for emergency calls if in any way possible. If you have to then at least you get to someone who can try and help here.

For Jabber mobile we’ve keyed in 911 as an emergency number which should prompt the app to drop to the phone’s dialer and not attempt the call through there.

Location management is a backlogged ask for Jabber for some time now, and I don’t think it’s going to get there on the wired side. The wireless end of it is not great to maintain if you’re using a system that isn’t Cisco’s or you are replacing and moving APs, or have multiple BSSIDs being sent. On the wired side, despite Jabber’s “location” capability, there must not be a way to easily determine the MAC address that you’re using when registering in the phone, and of course CER being what it is wouldn’t be able to do anything with it anyways.

If I had to send the call out to public safety, I don’t have a way that I can see to change the designation of the TN to mobile, so they would get a campus address which won’t do any good. Even if I could change it to mobile I don’t know that I would be allowed to do that – NG911 services will attempt to “ping” mobile destinations and ascertain their location through mobile networks, which obviously could not be done with a DID.

Adam