Mailing List Archive

Re: FN70379 / VMWare Tools breaks initramfs
Hello all,

Just wanted to throw this one back out there to the group. I’m upgrading our lab emergency responder from 12.0 affected to 12.5(1)a. This upgrade failed for some reason I’ve yet to determine with TAC, but part of the process during the upgrade is to roll back to the previous version and reboot if there is a fault during upgrade.

Once this rebooted I got dumped into the condition described in the field notice and have to recover.

TAC also advises that if you use the recovery ISO that you rebuild the server afterwards. CER for sure has said this before in the documentation, but others do as well:

Rebuild Server After You Use the Recovery Disk

Cisco recommends that you rebuild the server, after you use the recovery disk to bring a server with a corrupted file system into a bootable and semifunctional state. For more information, see http:/?/?tools.cisco.com/?bugsearch/?bug/?CSCth53322<http://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCth53322>
[https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/templates/note.gif]Note

________________________________

You may notice missing directories, lost permissions, or corrupted softlinks, if you do not rebuild the server.

I would claim here that this is not a corrupted file system, but in going back to re-read the field notice, I wonder if the action it is prescribing is to use the recovery ISO to repair the boot image for the appliance before you run into trouble and need to work out of it. That’s unclear to me. I did not expect the upgrade to fail and put me in this boat – if you are planning to upgrade out of the affected versions I suppose have the recovery software handy.

Happy loading.

Adam Pawlowski
University at Buffalo
Re: FN70379 / VMWare Tools breaks initramfs [ In reply to ]
Or disable vmware tools updates on the VM itself.

Brian Palmer

Cisco recommends that you rebuild the server, after you use the recovery disk to bring a server with a corrupted file system into a bootable and semifunctional state. For more information, see http:/?/?tools.cisco.com/?bugsearch/?bug/?CSCth53322<http://defang.bcbsfl.com/defang.php?url=http://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCth53322>
[http://defang.bcbsfl.com/defang.php?url=https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/templates/note.gif]Note

________________________________

You may notice missing directories, lost permissions, or corrupted softlinks, if you do not rebuild the server.

I would claim here that this is not a corrupted file system, but in going back to re-read the field notice, I wonder if the action it is prescribing is to use the recovery ISO to repair the boot image for the appliance before you run into trouble and need to work out of it. That’s unclear to me. I did not expect the upgrade to fail and put me in this boat – if you are planning to upgrade out of the affected versions I suppose have the recovery software handy.

Happy loading.

Adam Pawlowski
University at Buffalo

We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate.

You may access the Non-Discrimination and Accessibility Notice here <http://floridablue.com/ndnotice>.

Language Assistance Available:

Español, Kreyol Ayisien, Ti?ng Vi?t, Português, ??, français, Tagalog, ???????, italiano, Deutsche, ???, Polskie, Gujarati, ???, ???????, ???, ????? <http://floridablue.com/languageservices>

Florida Blue is a trade name of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc., and its subsidiary and affiliate companies are not responsible for errors or omissions in this e-mail message. Any personal comments made in this e-mail do not reflect the views of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc. The information contained in this document may be confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This document may contain material that is privileged or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, please (1) be advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, or copying of this document IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED; and (2) notify sender immediately by telephone and destroy the document. THANK YOU.
Re: FN70379 / VMWare Tools breaks initramfs [ In reply to ]
WHOA. OK, my bad for not reading the recovery disk details, but geez, at least include this information in the field notice. At least something that says, “hey - you need to read the recovery release notes for up to date information, but be prepared to have to rebuild the server after you recover.”

Geeeez.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio@uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio@uoguelph.ca>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

Re: FN70379 / VMWare Tools breaks initramfs [ In reply to ]
Personally I think I will disregard that, especially for my lab, as it shut down cleanly and there has been no corruption that I would be aware of.

Regarding the VMWare tools information, I suppose in hindsight if you knew that you hadn’t updated and this would happen, then disabling that update would be a good idea.

But again I’m pretty sure the implication of that text is if you’re recovering from a severe issue enough to get what you need from the box and start over.

Adam