Mailing List Archive

uBR-7223 Question
Hi,

Doing a little consulting here. We are looking for a CMTS and
associated hardware/modems to launch high speed internet on our CATV
system. I would estimate that we will have between 3000-4000 modems in
use but would also like to have room for expansion. Like to have
redundancy as well.

Thinking of the following:

uBR7223
NPE-225
I/O-FE
2x uBR-MC16C

Would this config support 4000+ users?

Regards,

Sarpreet Basi
Knowledge Computers
Email: sar@knowledgecomputers.net
Toll-free: 800.967.6609 x102
International: 250.748.0818 x102
Fax: 250.748.3388
Mobile: 250.709.0336

Re: uBR-7223 Question [ In reply to ]
Hi Basi,

the depends on some parameters - which bandwidth do you plan per user?
What kind of services do you plan to provide (internet only, voice
services)?
How does you network look like (SNR, ingress)?

In general; what you described is more a minimal configuration without any
redundancy.

cu
rene-roger

Re: uBR-7223 Question [ In reply to ]
Hi!

René-Roger Ziesack wrote on 26/03/08 18:50 MET:

> the depends on some parameters - which bandwidth do you plan per user?
> What kind of services do you plan to provide (internet only, voice
> services)?
> How does you network look like (SNR, ingress)?
>
> In general; what you described is more a minimal configuration without
> any redundancy.

Attached two load and one traffic graphs of almost the same UBR with
currently 406 installed modems.

Setup:
uBR7223 with:
1x NPE-225 (128M RAM)
1x I/O-FE
1x PA-FE-TX
1x uBR-MC16S (uBR-MC16C with Spectrum Analyzer)

To be realistic with 4000 installed modems you probably need at least 50
from your upstream ISP.

One uBR-MC16C can realistically do 20MBit (30Mbit theoretically) in the
downstream - tested it myself.

At least a uBR7246 VXR with NPE-400 and 2x uBR-MC28C would be what I would
choose for in your case.

But I'm not really qualified as I haven't gone there myself yet.

--
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock
Re: uBR-7223 Question [ In reply to ]
Hi!

*This time with the correct attachments*

Re: uBR-7223 Question [ In reply to ]
I'd say that it might be a stretch with a 7223. 12.1 software is
buggy and as far I know is eos. 12.2 software will crush a Npe-225
with that many modems.

Might want to look at a 7225vxr instead.

Sent from my iPhone