[nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with it already?
Can you share them with us?

I am especially interested to know does it work as an LNS compared to
NPE400

Thanks
Arie
Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
I've seen some high cpu utilization on it when running 2xGE
at 800M+ that they have yet to resolve or provide explanation to.

Other than that it seems to provide a bit more life to
the 7200 series (other than the lack of NVRAM) in the high speed
interfaces.

- Jared

Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
This is a very good point!!!..

I would like to know how is this router configured in order handle 800M
in backplain.

I have a 7206VXR with NPE300 ,1 Gbic 1 Atm. (MPLS TAG-SWITCH.. enabled
in both interfaces) and i can not put more that 350M aggregated. (cpu at
80%)

Thanks
Ezequiel

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
The builtin GE interfaces (it has 3 of them) does not
traverse the PCI bus so these 3 GE interfaces are 'freebies'
as far as the BW points go.

You would not use your PA-GE unless you want to see the
very limited performance these provide.

- jared

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
Do you have any idea about the limit performance of the PA-GE?

-Ezeq.

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
What do you do on it that you run out of NVRAM?!

Arie

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 01:14:58AM +0300, ml@vayner.net wrote:
> What do you do on it that you run out of NVRAM?!

Configured a lot things on it? :)

-r--r----- 1 root staff 518500 Sep 12 05:26 xxx-cor4-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 446700 Sep 12 04:16 xxx-cor2-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 408888 Sep 12 05:57 xxx-cor2-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 385502 Sep 12 06:16 xxx-cor2-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 378856 Sep 12 05:03 xxx-cor4-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 337134 Sep 12 06:16 xxx-cor1-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 321396 Sep 12 05:56 xxx-cor1-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 320027 Sep 12 04:24 xxx-cor4-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 310288 Sep 12 05:02 xxx-cor3-confg
-r--r----- 1 root staff 306887 Sep 12 05:02 xxx-cor2-confg

It's very easy to run out of NVRAM. ;) (These are 7200/NPE200 with a bit of
ISDN and ATM customers with some bgp filters for them).

> Arie
>
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > I've seen some high cpu utilization on it when running 2xGE
> > at 800M+ that they have yet to resolve or provide explanation to.
> >
> > Other than that it seems to provide a bit more life to
> > the 7200 series (other than the lack of NVRAM) in the high speed
> > interfaces.
> >
> > - Jared
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:26:12PM +0300, ml@vayner.net wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any experience with it already?
> > > Can you share them with us?
> > >
> > > I am especially interested to know does it work as an LNS compared to
> > > NPE400
---end quoted text---

SY,
--
CCNP, CCDP (R&S) Dmitri E. Kalintsev
CDPlayer@irc Network Architect @ connect.com.au
Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
long prefix-lists. The RSP8 came out
much earlier yet this similar device has only 512k NVRAM instead
of 2M (or more).

Now arguably the 7200 can't be stacked full of
PA-MC-2T3+'s in the same way as a 7513 can for lots of interfaces
but access-lists, prefix-lists (for customer and peer filtering) do
consume a fair amount of space (even with service compress-config).

- Jared

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
I seem to recall that it can't do much more than 250M
of 'normal' sized packets. It may do better if you are dealing with
1500 byte packets.

- jared

Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
Doesn't take much - the 7200's nvram is dreadfully
underprovisioned. We've had to compress configs with as little as a few
hundred vc's and the requisite routing & acls.

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 ml@vayner.net wrote:

:What do you do on it that you run out of NVRAM?!
:
:Arie
:
:On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jared Mauch wrote:
:
:> I've seen some high cpu utilization on it when running 2xGE
:> at 800M+ that they have yet to resolve or provide explanation to.
:>
:> Other than that it seems to provide a bit more life to
:> the 7200 series (other than the lack of NVRAM) in the high speed
:> interfaces.
:>
:> - Jared
:>
:> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:26:12PM +0300, ml@vayner.net wrote:
:> > Hi
:> >
:> > Does anyone have any experience with it already?
:> > Can you share them with us?
:> >
:> > I am especially interested to know does it work as an LNS compared to
:> > NPE400
:> >
:> > Thanks
:> > Arie
:> >
:> >
:> > _______________________________________________
:> > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
:>
:>
:
:
Re: [nsp] NPE-G1 for 7200 [ In reply to ]
I see,
250M with Frames at 1500 bytes my private/public buffers will be
asking help!!! :)

Ezeq.