Hardware is 82543 (rev 2), network connection mode is auto
network link is up
loopback type is none
GBIC type is unknown 0

Playing with the GBIC and the card we get inconsistent results. Anyone
know of any problems with GBIC-ZX's and GEIP+ cards?

Thanks,
Hank
Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
I'd like to hear as well about the GEIP+ cards.
Anybody experiencing any kind of issues with those linecards ?

We intent to put two of them in a single Cisco 7513.

Thanks
German

Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]

This comes from Ariel Biener who ran some further testing:

Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 06:57:12AM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> This comes from Ariel Biener who ran some further testing:
>
> >It seems GE-IP+ has a "feature" that you must not insert the card with the
> >GBIC and the fibre connected to the router. You must insert the card
> >with/without the GBIC, but no fibre connected. When removing a GBIC from
> >the card (when the card is in the router), you must first remove the
> >cable, then the GBIC, reinsert the GBIC, and then the cable. When done
> >this way, the card will recognize the GBIC, we tried it today with various
> >GBICs, ZX, LX, SX. It worked perfectly. We then tried it with the fibre,
> >and it didn't work, as stated above. So, as long as this procedure is
> >maintained, that is not the problem.

Sounds ugly. What happens if the router reboots while the gbit cable is
connected? Will it recognize GBIC and link?

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *Ripe43 / Rhodos / Greece*
Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Gert Doering wrote:

> Sounds ugly.What happens if the router reboots while the gbit cable is
> connected?Will it recognize GBIC and link?

It is supposed to, yes. It is more of a Cisco design bug than anything
else.

--Ariel

> gert
> --
> Gert Doering
> Mobile communications ... right now writing from *Ripe43 / Rhodos / Greece*

Ariel Biener
e-mail: ariel@post.tau.ac.il
PGP(6.5.8) public key http://www.tau.ac.il/~ariel/pgp.html
Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
We are experiencing several issues with the GEIP+ cards. The most
important one is that they do not reach no where near the pps cisco
specifies. They seem to be as tempermental as the ones on the GSRs. In
my opinion you are better off leaving cisco and going with Juniper or
Foundry.

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 10:23, German Martinez wrote:
> I'd like to hear as well about the GEIP+ cards.
> Anybody experiencing any kind of issues with those linecards ?
>
> We intent to put two of them in a single Cisco 7513.
>
> Thanks
> German
>
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>
> > Running 12.0(21)S2 on two routers - a 7507 and a 7513. GEIP+ with GBIC-ZX
> > installed in each.
> >
> > On 1 router we get:
> > Interface GigabitEthernet0/0(idb 0x60A4F2A0)
> > Hardware is 82543 (rev 2), network connection mode is auto
> > network link is up
> > loopback type is none
> > GBIC type is 1000BaseZX
> >
> > and on the other router we get:
> > Interface GigabitEthernet0/0(idb 0x60A4F2A0)
> > Hardware is 82543 (rev 2), network connection mode is auto
> > network link is up
> > loopback type is none
> > GBIC type is unknown 0
> >
> > Playing with the GBIC and the card we get inconsistent results. Anyone
> > know of any problems with GBIC-ZX's and GEIP+ cards?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hank

Manolo Hernandez - Network Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Linux Web Servers
phone://954-581-0097 fax://954-581-7629
mailto:manolo@dialtone.com http://www.dialtone.com
"The only source of knowledge is experience." - A. Einstein
Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
At 09:04 AM 12-09-02 -0400, Manolo Hernandez wrote:

I have a site that ran extensive testing on the GEIP+ under many different
scenerios: w/ and w/o PBR; via a GRE tunnel; w/ and w/o distributed cef;
various pkt sizes and generally we topped out at 200kpps. Check to make
sure there are no open bugs for your version in regards to DCEF, which
would negate a lot of what you want to get. Also, check the "overruns"
counter. If you are not getting 200kpps, check overruns and I bet it will
be non-zero.

-Hank

Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
The pps spec of the GEIP+ may be achieved turning off ACLs and NetFlow...
which makes your router a very fast sitting duck on hostile networks.

The only reason I see for buying GEIP+ cards is such a shortage of money
that makes you take bad investment decisions in order to survive. Cisco GSRs
with only Engine-3 or the 10-port GigE line-cards and Juniper M-series are
the ways to go in backbone/wan environments; Cisco 7600, Juniper M and
Foundry with JetCores are more suitable choices for datacenter/metro
environments.

Rubesn

Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
The GSRs no matter what line card are not worth the time or effort. I am
a big fan of Juniper and Foundry.

Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
There is nice and cosy ESR10000, with full rate netflow (or so we think) and
low-density line-rate GigE cards.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:47:13PM -0300, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> The pps spec of the GEIP+ may be achieved turning off ACLs and NetFlow...
> which makes your router a very fast sitting duck on hostile networks.
>
> The only reason I see for buying GEIP+ cards is such a shortage of money
> that makes you take bad investment decisions in order to survive. Cisco GSRs
> with only Engine-3 or the 10-port GigE line-cards and Juniper M-series are
> the ways to go in backbone/wan environments; Cisco 7600, Juniper M and
> Foundry with JetCores are more suitable choices for datacenter/metro
> environments.

---end quoted text---

SY,
--
CCNP, CCDP (R&S) Dmitri E. Kalintsev
CDPlayer@irc Network Architect @ connect.com.au
Re: [nsp] GEIP+ and GBIC-ZX [ In reply to ]
Test lab is your friend... original GigE cards for the ESR10k only supported
800 Mbps of bandwidth to the PRE. (See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/aggr/10000/techedge/ch2esr.h
tm )

Cisco would probably press-released the availability of a new+faster card,
so I will assume it's still the same... take a good look at the news section
of Cat6K/7600, GSR and ESR10k. You will see lots of development on the first
two plataforms, and none on ESR10k. There are a lot of new/faster products
with PXF (NRP2/7300/7400 ), but no PRE enhancements to the ESR... the proof
is left up to the reader.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.