Mailing List Archive

[nsp] More QoS questions
Hi all,

I'm trying configuring a Cisco 3640 router for QoS. I want to tag incoming
packets on the ingress interface (Ethernet 0/0) with DSCP values and then
processing those values on the egress interface (Serial 0/0). Here's my
configuration:

class-map match-all DSCP-1
match ip dscp 1
class-map match-all DSCP-3
match ip dscp 3
class-map match-all DSCP-2
match ip dscp 2
class-map match-all P2P
match access-group 110
class-map match-all HOSTING
match access-group 25
class-map match-all MEDIA-ENCODERS
match access-group 13
!
!
policy-map TAG-PACKETS
class P2P
set ip dscp 1
class MEDIA-ENCODERS
set ip dscp 2
class HOSTING
set ip dscp 3
policy-map LIMIT-TRAFFIC
class DSCP-1
police 64000 2000 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
class DSCP-3
shape average 256000
class DSCP-2
priority 256
policy-map DEFAULT-INCOMING
class class-default
service-policy TAG-PACKETS
policy-map DEFAULT-OUTGOING
class class-default
service-policy LIMIT-TRAFFIC

But attaching DEFAULT-INCOMING or DEFAULT-OUTGOING to an interface doesn't
work! Doing a 'show running-config' doesn't show the service-policy on the
interface.

---
francis a. vidal [bitstop network services] | http://www.bitstop.ph
streaming media + web hosting | http://www.keystone.ph
v(02)330-2871,(02)330-2872; f(02)330-2873 | http://www.kuro.ph
Re: [nsp] More QoS questions [ In reply to ]
Thus spake <francisv@dagupan.com>
> I'm trying configuring a Cisco 3640 router for QoS. I want to tag incoming
> packets on the ingress interface (Ethernet 0/0) with DSCP values and then
> processing those values on the egress interface (Serial 0/0). Here's my
> configuration:
>
> class-map match-all DSCP-1
> match ip dscp 1
> class-map match-all DSCP-3
> match ip dscp 3
> class-map match-all DSCP-2
> match ip dscp 2

DSCP's 1, 2, and 3? I'd recommend using AF11 (9), AF12 (10), and AF13 (11) for
this type of use.

> class DSCP-2
> priority 256

You realize "priority 256" is a *maximum* value, not a minimum, right? If you
want to guarantee a minimum bw (which I figure is what you want), use "bandwidth
256".

> policy-map DEFAULT-INCOMING
> class class-default
> service-policy TAG-PACKETS
> policy-map DEFAULT-OUTGOING
> class class-default
> service-policy LIMIT-TRAFFIC

No offense, but this is loony. Why are you attaching one policy to another
policy? Yes, the CLI will accept it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

> But attaching DEFAULT-INCOMING or DEFAULT-OUTGOING to an
> interface doesn't work! Doing a 'show running-config' doesn't show the
> service-policy on the interface.

In your config, you don't show trying to attach it to an interface.

interface Ethernet0/0
service-policy input TAG-PACKETS
!
interface Serial0/0