Mailing List Archive

Problems with A99-8X100GE-TR and IOS XR 6.5.3
https://community.cisco.com/t5/xr-os-and-platforms/problems-with-a99-8x100ge-tr-and-ios-xr-6-5-3/td-p/4013668

Curious to hear from the community if anyone else has run into this
(aside from the obvious post above.)

A few months ago, we had an odd incident where one of our NPs lost its
mind. As expected, two 100G ports went wacko and we had to shut them down.

During a maintenance window, rebooting the linecard fixed it, but then
it did it again a month or so later.

This chassis has been up and churning packets for several years, so it
was presumed to be a possible hardware fail.

We acquired another A99-8X100GE-TR and hammered it in, but it won't boot
at all. Similar issues -- NPs are unhappy -- won't initialize right.

Our fear is a backplane issue, until I stumbled across that post.

At the moment, we are in fact running 6.5.3 SP6. FPDs are upgraded, we
also have RSP880s, same chassis (9904). Sound familiar?

Anybody else seen this?

Thank you all ... !!
Re: Problems with A99-8X100GE-TR and IOS XR 6.5.3 [ In reply to ]
On 2023-06-01 21:38, Bryan Holloway via cisco-nsp wrote:
> https://community.cisco.com/t5/xr-os-and-platforms/problems-with-a99-8x100ge-tr-and-ios-xr-6-5-3/td-p/4013668
>
> This chassis has been up and churning packets for several years, so it
> was presumed to be a possible hardware fail.
>
> We acquired another A99-8X100GE-TR and hammered it in, but it won't
> boot at all. Similar issues -- NPs are unhappy -- won't initialize
> right.
>
> Our fear is a backplane issue, until I stumbled across that post.
>
> At the moment, we are in fact running 6.5.3 SP6. FPDs are upgraded, we
> also have RSP880s, same chassis (9904). Sound familiar?

I've not seen this specific issue, but I am curious around two things:

1. Given the insight from the URL referenced, when did you upgrade the
FPDs to the version required by 6.5.3? Presumably after upgrade? How
long did it take between that action and the card misbehaving?

1a. Is there a difference in HW revision on the 8x100GE card you
had/have bought to replace?

2. I went to check for obvious things in the release notes for 6.5.x
(e.g. a x.y.4 or .5 release that cites a fix for your LC) but it's "so
old" a release train that the relnotes have been taken down.

2a. Even the FPD values in the 6.7.1 release appear to be newer for
the 8x100G card, so I would be remiss for suggesting that you get
yourself on a supported release train - as even without hitting 7.x
you're still missing out on updates - and probably fixes - for your
card.

Too many years of working with XR caused me to worry a lot less about
version upgrades, but to also the scour the release notes very, very
carefully before I did any of them.

Tom
Re: Problems with A99-8X100GE-TR and IOS XR 6.5.3 [ In reply to ]
Turns out we had a bad backplane ... ended up replacing the chassis. All
the LCs were fine.

Thanks to everyone who responded on- and off-list!