I am receiving around 90K routes from each provider , as well , I have iBGP between the ASR9K.
What am noticing is that ASR9K1 is advertising around 87K to ASR9K2 where ASR9Ks is advertising around 7K routes.
Any hints?
Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
I'm assuming the ASR only advertising 7k routes knows the other ASR already
has a better route to those prefixes based on what it is recieving from it.

As a test if you pull the uplink or do some pretending on import on ASR9K1
then ASR9K2 should advertise the full 90k on the ibgp session.

Matt

Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
On 3/12/23 20:21, Mohammad Khalil via cisco-nsp wrote:

> Greetings
> I have two ASR9K connected to different providers (Uplinks).
> I am receiving around 90K routes from each provider , as well , I have iBGP between the ASR9K.
> What am noticing is that ASR9K1 is advertising around 87K to ASR9K2 where ASR9Ks is advertising around 7K routes.
> Any hints?

A case of active routes being announced to neighbors, where active
routes = best routes/paths as seen from each router's point of view.

ASR9K1 has more routes with better paths toward destinations via its
upstream than ASR9K2 does.

Mark.
Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the hint , actually this is what I have been thinking of but was wondering how can I get more details or samples about that as a matter of proof.
________________________________

Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 at 20:50, Mark Tinka via cisco-nsp
<cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> ASR9K1 has more routes with better paths toward destinations via its
> upstream than ASR9K2 does.

Or at worst, race.

You might want add-path or best-external for predictability and
improved convergence time.

--
++ytti
Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 08:51:36PM +0200, Saku Ytti via cisco-nsp wrote:
> You might want add-path or best-external for predictability and
> improved convergence time.

Last time we did best-external with ASR9k it only worked in a useful
way if you are using labeled-unicast. That was many years ago, so
it might have been fixed, but "test and expect surprises".

In our case, the effect was that the local router that exported
best-external to its peers was also installing the best-external
path into its local FIB, as a load-shared path(!).

So we had packets come in from uplink, the "good" path was "send
internal over our network", but half the packets got balanced
via the "best-external" path. Intereresting isseus ensued.

To me this never made sense but TAC claimed "this is the way it is,
we're not considering this a bug, use labeled-unicast, then it will
work fine". As we didn't use LU, I could not verify this.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: BGP Routes [ In reply to ]
Thanks Saku and Gert for the kind replies , well received.