You can reply offlist if you want.

Thanks,
-Drew

Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 02:04:54PM +0000, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Does anyone have any real world working experience with the ASR9902? Any particular gotchas (yet)?

Looked at the ASR9902 and 9903 list prices and required licenses shenannigans
and decided to go for Arista.

Especially the license absurdities - the base price is already insane,
but then you need all the extra licences. Feature x Bandwidth.

From the "Hardware features and IOS XR" I'd love to get a few :-)

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
On 24/02/2022 16:35, Gert Doering wrote:

We ordered 2x 9906s last month w/ delivery in August.
Will let you know how that turns out.

-Hank

Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 05:50:39PM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> We ordered 2x 9906s last month w/ delivery in August.
> Will let you know how that turns out.

Not sure the 9902/9903 are actually comparable to 9906... 2RU/3RU
"mostly fixed" chassis with special-cased RPs vs. regular modular
ASR990x chassis.

(Also, I do not think the 9906 falls under the new license regime,
where you need to buy one license per 100G throughput, per feature
that you want to use)

Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
So far there is one feature that is missing but it is the same to all IOS
XRs.
No AUTO-RP in a VRF.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 5:13 PM Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 05:50:39PM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > We ordered 2x 9906s last month w/ delivery in August.
> > Will let you know how that turns out.
>
> Not sure the 9902/9903 are actually comparable to 9906... 2RU/3RU
> "mostly fixed" chassis with special-cased RPs vs. regular modular
> ASR990x chassis.
>
> (Also, I do not think the 9906 falls under the new license regime,
> where you need to buy one license per 100G throughput, per feature
> that you want to use)
>
> gert
>
> --
> "If was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you
> feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never
> doubted
> it myself till I met a computer with a sense of humor."
> Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh
> Mistress
>
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
> gert@greenie.muc.de

*Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards*
*Mattias Gyllenvarg*
Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
Has anyone that has operated an ASR9010/9001, etc ever used an NCS system before?

Our Cisco rep is sort of steering us towards NCS 55A1-24H as an alternative to the ASR9902 and it runs IOS XR but is this one of those circumstances where the OS operates totally differently depending on which hardware it's running on? (Like the entire Nexus line does with NXOS unfortunately)

--
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__puck.nether.net_mailman_listinfo_cisco-2Dnsp&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=FRRK8-NA9fRVQdbrFw1zzp22jbFKfA1I32C9FAYBp1M&s=gbtAlUECXRx4XdE7Xw-MP5I5aqPXmF1Iwc5l_thSYMA&e=
archive at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__puck.nether.net_pipermail_cisco-2Dnsp_&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=FRRK8-NA9fRVQdbrFw1zzp22jbFKfA1I32C9FAYBp1M&s=e09hitItBnHvggOA7tWQVqSlwscAJM1N5xB5dwTnwK8&e=
Re: ASR9902 experiences? [ In reply to ]
On 3/10/22 16:01, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Has anyone that has operated an ASR9010/9001, etc ever used an NCS system before?
>
> Our Cisco rep is sort of steering us towards NCS 55A1-24H as an alternative to the ASR9902 and it runs IOS XR but is this one of those circumstances where the OS operates totally differently depending on which hardware it's running on? (Like the entire Nexus line does with NXOS unfortunately)

They are completely different platforms, NPU-wise.

The ASR9902 is Cisco's in-house silicon, while the NCS 55A1 is based on
Jericho+.

So the OS is the same, but behaviour may differ due to this, depending
on your use-case.

Mark.