set to 0x2142.
This exact same issue is present on two different asr1001-x routers
which leads me to believe that there must be something in the 1001-x
docs about password recovery that I'm missing.

Has anyone ever seen this, and if so could you point me to documentation
that shows how to fix it?  I have never seen anything like it and I'd
rather not have to go through TAC if this is simple to fix.

Thanks!
Re: ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/21 04:12, Tim Densmore wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently upgraded and erased the startup config on a couple of
> asr1001-x routers that are being repurposed.  Standard procedure,
> though this is the first time I have used the 1001-x specifically.
> Upon reboot I was expecting a "Router>" prompt, but instead I'm
> presented with a "Username:" prompt that does not allow me to log in
> with any of the local users or passwords that would have been in the
> config on this router.
> So, I boot into rommon, run "confreg 0x2142" and reboot the router.
> Upon reboot, the same "Username:" prompt shows up.  I figure my
> settings in rommon didn't stick so I check them and verify that
> confreg really is set to 0x2142.
> This exact same issue is present on two different asr1001-x routers
> which leads me to believe that there must be something in the 1001-x
> docs about password recovery that I'm missing.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this, and if so could you point me to
> documentation that shows how to fix it?  I have never seen anything
> like it and I'd rather not have to go through TAC if this is simple to
> fix.

From what code did you upgrade, and to what?

Mark.
Re: ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/21 3:15 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> From what code did you upgrade, and to what?
>
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I don't have the exact code and it's possible that I only
upgraded one of them so far.  Things got a little confused once I could
no longer access the CLI on the devices.

But basically 16-something to the latest GA 17, though if 17 is
problematic we may just stay at the latest 16.

Thanks for the reply!

Tim

Re: ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/21 20:16, Tim Densmore wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Unfortunately I don't have the exact code and it's possible that I
> only upgraded one of them so far.  Things got a little confused once I
> could no longer access the CLI on the devices.
>
> But basically 16-something to the latest GA 17, though if 17 is
> problematic we may just stay at the latest 16.

When I was moving from 3.x to 17.x (via 16.x and lots of ROMMON, FPGA
and CPLD drama), I recall some licensing agreements that were required
before the box could load the saved configuration. Did any of that pop
up on your console?

I'm talking about the ASR1006 here. It's possible that the ASR1001-X may
have something different going on, as I did not hit a similar issue on
our ASR1002-X's.

Mark.
Re: ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure [ In reply to ]
On 10/21/21 1:37 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> When I was moving from 3.x to 17.x (via 16.x and lots of ROMMON, FPGA
> and CPLD drama), I recall some licensing agreements that were required
> before the box could load the saved configuration. Did any of that pop
> up on your console?
>
> I'm talking about the ASR1006 here. It's possible that the ASR1001-X
> may have something different going on, as I did not hit a similar
> issue on our ASR1002-X's.
>
> Mark.

It turns out that the issue was related to "controller mode" vs
"autonomous mode".  Somehow deleting the config caused the the asr1001s
to choose "controller mode" looking for an SDWAN controller.

Thanks!

Tim
Re: ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure [ In reply to ]
On 10/21/21 17:44, Tim Densmore wrote:

> It turns out that the issue was related to "controller mode" vs
> "autonomous mode".  Somehow deleting the config caused the the
> asr1001s to choose "controller mode" looking for an SDWAN controller.

Oh dear Lord...

Mark.