DC PoE Switch Recommendations
I'm looking for recommendations on some used Cisco PoE switches. Requirements are that they take -48 vDC power and have PoE output. They'd mostly be managing OOBM, but they'd also power an IP phone, a couple of cameras, and an AP.

I was looking at the 3750X, which is available at a very reasonable price, but the power supplies are like $2k/each, which is not very reasonable.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

Re: DC PoE Switch Recommendations [ In reply to ]
If you're looking for new equipment, what about a 3850 series switch?
They're getting close to the end-of-sale from Cisco, but will still be
supported for quite a while.

If you're looking at used equipment, it can be tough to find DC power
supplies. I have a couple of (reputable) larger suppliers that we use that
can usually find them.

Shawn

Re: DC PoE Switch Recommendations [ In reply to ]
Hm a little unusual combination ;-)

PoE usually is some sort of enterprise line Feature and dc input is more on the Telkom side of things, most data centers I know had two circuits of 3 phase ac.

But anyway Did you have thought about using normal ac powersupplies and on the dc side using a dc / ac inverter?

Something like:
RS Pro 1000W Fixed Installation DC-AC Power Inverter Pure sine, 48V dc / 230V ac
They are sold around 350 Euro here in Europe.

Re: DC PoE Switch Recommendations [ In reply to ]
Given the lack of AC in the telco room, I was looking for easier ways than generating my own AC to power a few devices, but maybe that'll be a reasonable course of action.

-----

Re: DC PoE Switch Recommendations [ In reply to ]
*nods* Finding DC power supplies in the used market seems to be quite variable. Historically, they're either dirt cheap for platforms that don't quite fit the bill, or they're way more expensive than the switch.

I don't find much value in new equipment like that. To me, it's like buying a new car. Let someone else take the loss of value up front. In a few years, it still fits the requirements, but for much less money (thus I can more cost effectively stock spares.

-----