________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail. You must destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.
Thank you.
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 07:48:09PM +0000, Erik Sundberg wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone out there has and moved there ASR9K's to XR 7.

Which RPs, which line card generation?

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 07:48:09PM +0000, Erik Sundberg wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone out there has and moved there ASR9K's to XR 7. We run a Service Provider Network (Internet, MPLS, Ethernet Services). We are going to be doing our own testing but would like to also see what challenges or issues others faced going to XR 7
>
> When talking with TAC I have been told different things, use 6.6.3, 6.7.3, or 7.1.3.

We've been running both eXR 7.1.15 and 7.1.3 in production on two ASR9906s and ASR9922 since February, with mix of both Tomahawk/Powerglide (A9K-48X10GE-1G-TR) and Lightspeed+ (A9K-20HG-FLEX-TR) cards; using mix of 400G-FR4, 100G-LRs and 10GEs.

So far no problems, besides some cosmetic issues (constant syslog spamming of plat_sl_client), but we're not doing anything complex, just IP traffic.

James
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 7:55 PM Erik Sundberg <ESundberg@nitelusa.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone out there has and moved there ASR9K's to XR 7. We run a Service Provider Network (Internet, MPLS, Ethernet Services). We are going to be doing our own testing but would like to also see what challenges or issues others faced going to XR 7
>
> When talking with TAC I have been told different things, use 6.6.3, 6.7.3, or 7.1.3.
>
> The current Extended Maintenance release is XR 7.1.3, with 7.3.x set to go Extended Maintenance release around Q3/Q4 from what I can tell.
>
> Thanks
>
> Erik

Done some 7.1.3.

-Mind the possibility that you need golden FPD upgrades (previous
release we were on claimed it did it, but 7.1.3 actually fixed it..
oops).
-Also, depending on how you handle VPWS configs, there may be a little
funny behavior, already SMU'ed.
-If you've done Golden ISO in the past, you may run into a space
problem on admin plane.

Overall, we're seeing nothing interesting so far on Tomahawk + RSP880/RP2.

--
William McCall
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
We're running the following right now.
ASR9906's
A99-RSP-SE
A9K-MOD200-SE with A9K-MPA-20X1GE and A9K-MPA-8X10GE
A9K-24X10GE-1G-SE

William, do you have have a bug id for the VPWS bug? We are doing a bunch of ethernet services.

Glad to hear that so far that XR 7 is working as expected and nothing major.

Thanks

Erik

Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
CSCvx80028, but it is a very specific order of operations thing when
doing configuration.

--
William McCall
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
William McCall wrote on 30/07/2021 17:54:
> CSCvx80028, but it is a very specific order of operations thing when
> doing configuration.

there are several reconfig / deconfig operations that can't be handled
on XR using a single commit, e.g. changing ISIS NET address, some
netflow stuff, etc.

Nick
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 20:29, Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org> wrote:

> there are several reconfig / deconfig operations that can't be handled
> on XR using a single commit, e.g. changing ISIS NET address, some
> netflow stuff, etc.

Deapplying and removing QoS policy in a single commit :). Opening
tickets about these tactically feels frustrating when the vendor
doesn't understand there is a strategic problem under the hood causing
these. Some other vendors who simply cannot produce config without
having models first don't have these commit time problems or they are
orders of magnitude rarer events.

Cisco keeps being confused about what does 'model driven' mean, the
moment you talk about coverage of models and being model driven,
you're confused what model driven means.

Cisco doesn't even have real config infra, if QoS policy doesn't
commit, that is QoS people problem, if tunnel config doesn't commit,
that's tunnel team problem and so-forth. Instead of them consuming
some internal config API, and having all commit problems be a config
team problem.

--
++ytti
Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]
We've been testing 7.1.3 for deployment onto ASR9Ks and NCS55Ks.

Similar features set to you it sounds, the standard SP features. No show stoppers on the 9Ks for us in 7.1.3 but I think a few on the NCS55ks. There are always plenty of bugs on XR, and they are different on ASR9Ks and NCS55ks. Yay!

For 9Ks on 7.1.3 there are minor bugs with BGP PIC not switching to the primary path, a CEF bug waiting 4 minutes to switch to the backup path, host name changes not being reflected on ISIS, and so on. Some of them are very niche and require the exact order of operations to trigger or FRR + TI-LFA + PIC etc. This is why I say they aren't show stoppers, they're unlikely to be triggered and there are SMUs for all we've encountered. So just look through the SMU list and see what's relevant yo your setup.

Cheers,
James.

Re: ASR9K using XR 7 [ In reply to ]