Once we have our license established, do we need to leave the
"call-home" section?

To me it screams "security violation" and something I'd like to
permanently disable after getting the license activated.

Or does Cisco like to have their routers constantly ping the mothership
in regards to the licensing?

Regards,

Hank

Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
I believe it's required that it must stay there.

You can run an on-prem version of the manager which your routers can call
in to. This will then call into Cisco for you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/buy/smart-accounts/software-manager.html

It's all a massive pain. We have kit that randomly stops calling in, and
generates angry messages in dashboards.

The sneaky alternative is that it's all honour based anyway (at least for
the range we are using). Just let it sit in eval mode and move on with your
life.

Regards,
Dave

Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
Dave Bell wrote on 24/02/2021 11:28:
> It's all a massive pain. We have kit that randomly stops calling in, and
> generates angry messages in dashboards.
>
> The sneaky alternative is that it's all honour based anyway (at least for
> the range we are using). Just let it sit in eval mode and move on with your
> life.

it's an RTU license until it's not. Then you have a network which
depends on a code path which polls the question: "should I continue to
operate?", and where the default answer is usually "no" unless signaled
otherwise.

There are many ways of building reliable networks. I'm not aware of any
which include using code where the default is to stop working unless
explicitly told otherwise.

Nick
Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
https://www.mail-archive.com/cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg68161.html

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 13:26, Hank Nussbacher <hank@interall.co.il> wrote:

> So we bought a bunch of ASR1009x along with IOS-XE and are encountering
> the joy of Smart licensing.
>
> Once we have our license established, do we need to leave the
> "call-home" section?
>
> To me it screams "security violation" and something I'd like to
> permanently disable after getting the license activated.
>
> Or does Cisco like to have their routers constantly ping the mothership
> in regards to the licensing?
>

> Regards,
>
> Hank

++ytti
Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
It appears to be using http (not https?) to connect to:
http://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService

Seriously?! No https?

And is it only gonna connect to 173.37.145.8 or will other IPs try to
connect? So should I create some ACL to *only* allow 173.37.145.8:80 to
protect my routers?

What have others done?

Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

you can also specify HTTPS:

source-interface Loopback0
http-proxy "<proxy-IP>" port 8080
no http secure server-identity-check
no destination transport-method email
profile "<myorg-profile>"
reporting smart-licensing-data
destination transport-method http
destination address http
https://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService

I do bounce my smart-account access through a proxy I manage. I found that
more comfortable that running their on-prem satellite, or letting my
devices phone-home directly.

ttyl,
Hagen Amen | Multco IT Networking

Re: IOS-XE Smart licensing [ In reply to ]
On 2/24/21 1:18 PM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> So we bought a bunch of ASR1009x along with IOS-XE and are
> encountering the joy of Smart licensing.
>
> Once we have our license established, do we need to leave the
> "call-home" section?
>
> To me it screams "security violation" and something I'd like to
> permanently disable after getting the license activated.
>
> Or does Cisco like to have their routers constantly ping the
> mothership in regards to the licensing?
>

> Regards,
>
> Hank

Yes you have to keep the "call-home" section.

From IOS-XE Fuji 16.9.1 is possible to do a "license reservation" and
revert to offline licensing mode.

--
Best regards,